Northwestern & Cornell Materials Science Engineering

rodby

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which seems more appealing?

• Northwestern (course based)
    • Cornell (research based)

Hi all,

I got into the M.S program in Materials Science Engineering in Northwestern and Cornell. I did not receive funds from both schools.

Let's just set the money problem aside first. For Materials Science Program, Northwestern is ranked #2, and Cornell #11. But Cornell is Ivy League!

The thing I am considering right now is that because I just want to get a master degree, and my future goal is to work in engineering management in San Jose (I live in CA).

Therefore, I am not going to do PhD after the master.

For NU, I got into the one year course based program. If I take 4 courses in a quarter, I can probably finish my degree in one academic year.

For Cornell, I got into the two year research based program.

The thing that bothering me right now is the ranking and the prestige. NU is higher ranked, but Cornell is Ivy League.

Like I mentioned before, I do not want to do PhD, I just want a master degree. Both programs are really good. I am really having a hard time to choose from them.

I would be really appreciated if anyone can give me some advises!

Thanks a lot!

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

I got into the M.S program in Materials Science Engineering in Northwestern and Cornell. I did not receive funds from both schools.

Let's just set the money problem aside first. For Materials Science Program, Northwestern is ranked #2, and Cornell #11. But Cornell is Ivy League!

The thing I am considering right now is that because I just want to get a master degree, and my future goal is to work in engineering management in San Jose (I live in CA).

Therefore, I am not going to do PhD after the master.

For NU, I got into the one year course based program. If I take 4 courses in a quarter, I can probably finish my degree in one academic year.

For Cornell, I got into the two year research based program.

The thing that bothering me right now is the ranking and the prestige. NU is higher ranked, but Cornell is Ivy League.

Like I mentioned before, I do not want to do PhD, I just want a master degree. Both programs are really good. I am really having a hard time to choose from them.

I would be really appreciated if anyone can give me some advises!

Thanks a lot!