I/O Psychology Masters UIUC vs. UChicago

cinnabon427

Hi guys! I recently got admitted into two master's programs and am still waiting on a few more results, but I wanted to see if I could seek some advice regarding where to go! I'm a psychology major with a specific interest in industrial-organizational psychology, and I'd prefer to work after my masters rather than go on to get a PhD. The two programs I got into so far is UIUC's LER program for a Masters in Human Resources and Industrial Relations degree, and the second one is U Chicago's MAPSS program for Psychology, which is the Master of Arts in Social Sciences. U Chicago has been my dream school since undergrad, but logically speaking I feel like the program at UIUC would be better for my goal of working (I'm also an international student). However, I really do not want to give up on U Chicago and I'm very torn? Any advice would be great, especially anyone who knows anything about these two programs!

4 hours ago, cinnabon427 said:

Hi guys! I recently got admitted into two master's programs and am still waiting on a few more results, but I wanted to see if I could seek some advice regarding where to go! I'm a psychology major with a specific interest in industrial-organizational psychology, and I'd prefer to work after my masters rather than go on to get a PhD. The two programs I got into so far is UIUC's LER program for a Masters in Human Resources and Industrial Relations degree, and the second one is U Chicago's MAPSS program for Psychology, which is the Master of Arts in Social Sciences. U Chicago has been my dream school since undergrad, but logically speaking I feel like the program at UIUC would be better for my goal of working (I'm also an international student). However, I really do not want to give up on U Chicago and I'm very torn? Any advice would be great, especially anyone who knows anything about these two programs!

I was accepted into and I/O masters program too and after visiting I learned that the program is very centered on their graduates mainly going into the workforce. So I think finding out what graduates do after and where they go to work is key. If they both have crossover in the companies and types of jobs obtained after graduating, then I think they both meet your goals! Also just taking the time to research and ask the professors what type of education you will get will help guide you depending on what type of career you want.

I would say UIUC is a better known program in the industry, but I would not underestimate the power of location when comparing UIUC to Chicago. If you want to work after your masters, then I'd focus more on which area offers the best opportunity for internship and applied experiences. I'd imagine that Chicago would provide more variety in that area. If you wanted to go PhD after your masters, then I'd recommend focusing on which school has more of a reputation in I/O and in that case, I'd go UIUC.