Importance of Course Selection for Applying PhD

vnswang

Hello everyone!

I am currently making a real hard decision between MA in art history of IFA and SAIC. One key question is: the importance of course selection for applying PhD programs.

1.Today I saw University of Maryland said that they require their PhD applicants to have studies courses from vast chronicle and geographical range, just as what they require for their MA students. Would this be a disadvantage of SAIC’s program when one apply for PhD? Indeed, courses in SAIC emphasis much more on contemporary art. Even courses on modern art are relatively much less. While in other programs like NYU:students will take seven courses in lectures, seminars and colloquia. Of these 7, at least 3 courses are not relevant to modern and contemporary studies.

2.Courses in NYU does cover a larger areas and periods, but only a few courses focus on modern and contemporary sculptures, like Rodin's, Giacometti's, and so on. Even if I am interested in some courses, NYU's IFA also require interviews, PS, CV for course registration. I might be dropped out!

I do care about if we have opportunity to work closely with individual faculty members within the Department on projects or field topics not normally included in the graduate curriculum, like I am interested in Rodin and Giacometti, and I know in SAIC, Professor David Raskin is familiar with this field, but it seems that there is no relevant course.

3. Most of the courses for graduate students are seminars in SAIC. Like in UMD, all courses for graduates are colloquiums and seminars. This is the difference between our program and programs like NYU's IFA and MODA, where lectures could make up the larger portion. So if you take many lectures, would it be an disadvantage for applying PhD?

Many thanks for any information!