MSW is it worth the amount of loans?

Courtneyy

Question

I happily got into so far 4/5 MSW programs? I wanted to know if taking out 44K worth of loans is worth it for MSW? The reason why I am asking is because I got into Kean and I really like the school but the cost is what is making me reconsider.

3 answers to this question

On 2/7/2020 at 12:17 PM, Courtneyy said:

Hey everyone! I wanted to list the MSW programs  I applied to as well as my general academic background to see the liklihood of getting accepted.

Schools I applied to ( schools with *** is my top choices):

1. Hunter College

2.Lehman College***

3. College of Staten Island***

4. Kean University***

5. Stony Brook

Academic Background:

Overall GPA (graduate in may 2020): 2.9

Psych major: 2.995

Sociology minor: 3.2

3 years of internship experience: 1 year as an RA at my current campuses dorm, one year experience interning at a high school working with at-risk students, currently working as a Peer mentor for a program on my campus where  I work with college students and help them get adjusted to college life. 

Do you guys feel that my experiences, personal statement, and recommendations can help me still get accepted into these schools even if my GPA is not as competitive??

Did you get in to CSI or Lehman?

It's so unfortunate that education has become so costly.  It's a tough sell, but obviously it's your ticket to doing what you want.  Find the salary statistics for the MSW based on the type of work you want to do, and then calculate your monthly costs for the loan.  Also note that a lot of medical and social services professions have loan forgiveness programs for working in underserved areas.

We tell our students that you just factor it in to your living expenses after graduate.  That's what I did.  It's like buying a house; it's an investment.