If I get accepted by US phd program, is it possible to drop my current MA?

modesteffect

Hello everyone,

I have completed an MPA degree in Canada, and will be doing a MA in political science this fall. However I am planning to apply to US PHD program in politics this Dec. 

I wonder if I hear back from the admision say in Feb, can I choose to drop my MA right away? will PHD programe need me to finish this MA?

Please advise.

You would likely have to finish the program because you'll have to send in transcripts from all programs you've attended (unofficial on application, official when accepted) and a bunch of W grades right before you enter a challenging PhD program will be a giant red-flag and perhaps result in a withdrawal of your admission (because it would be under the assumption you complete the MA).

1 hour ago, cropop said:

You would likely have to finish the program because you'll have to send in transcripts from all programs you've attended (unofficial on application, official when accepted) and a bunch of W grades right before you enter a challenging PhD program will be a giant red-flag and perhaps result in a withdrawal of your admission (because it would be under the assumption you complete the MA).

Thanks, what if the PHD offer has not mentioned any prerequisite, and also do you think sending transcripts before enrollment is just a process to verify previous materials are correct, nothing more meaningful? since the decision is done.

21 minutes ago, Chrisopps said:

Thanks, what if the PHD offer has not mentioned any prerequisite, and also do you think sending transcripts before enrollment is just a process to verify previous materials are correct, nothing more meaningful? since the decision is done.

It's not an issue of prerequisites per se but that you, as a candidate, enrolled in a bunch of graduate classes and then did not complete them. Most graduate programs have great concerns about the ability of applicants to complete a PhD program because they tend to be rigorous and quite a commitment (compared to other degrees). By enrolling in an MA program then not completing it, you are demonstrating to them that you might not be able to complete a PhD program, especially when these classes are in the semester immediately before the PhD program begins (disregarding summer).

I'm not saying that they will for sure rescind an acceptance just that it is a possibility and might not be worth the risk, especially if there's no real valid explanation for it (but you may have one). They generally look at transcripts to verify you've completed the degrees you said you have and may look at the individual course-work. In your case, it is probably going to be assumed you'd complete the MA when they evaluate you as an applicant (not to meet prerequisites but for general suitability).

On 3/20/2020 at 4:17 PM, cropop said:

It's not an issue of prerequisites per se but that you, as a candidate, enrolled in a bunch of graduate classes and then did not complete them. Most graduate programs have great concerns about the ability of applicants to complete a PhD program because they tend to be rigorous and quite a commitment (compared to other degrees). By enrolling in an MA program then not completing it, you are demonstrating to them that you might not be able to complete a PhD program, especially when these classes are in the semester immediately before the PhD program begins (disregarding summer).

I'm not saying that they will for sure rescind an acceptance just that it is a possibility and might not be worth the risk, especially if there's no real valid explanation for it (but you may have one). They generally look at transcripts to verify you've completed the degrees you said you have and may look at the individual course-work. In your case, it is probably going to be assumed you'd complete the MA when they evaluate you as an applicant (not to meet prerequisites but for general suitability).

Hi, what about I am not dropping, but instead not finshing it by summer. this is because my MA is designed to be finished in 4 terms (including summer), a small portion can finish within one year which means they need to spend tremendous amount of time, which i dont want to. Therefore if i send them the transcript in the summer, there wont be any withdrawal, but definitely the degree wont be finished.

Most universities, with few exceptions, require that the PhD applicant has completed or is soon to complete a Masters-level degree prior to applying. They also expect the Masters to have been completed before entering the PhD program (that is, showing up on campus and beginning doctoral coursework). It is only in very, very rare cases that someone would be permitted to attend without having completed their MA, unless there were extenuating unpreventable circumstances. But they would expect it to be completed right away during the first doctoral semester (typically).

In other words, if you plan to get a PhD, you need a Masters. Period.

The  only exception to that would be if the PhD program into which you are going is one of those five-year combo programs like there are in Philosophy, where you can apply with only a Bachelor's in hand; your first two years are Masters-level work; you have to pass a sort of thesis defense to be elevated to the PhD program; and the last three years are doctoral level.

I'm not familiar with MPA degrees, so it may be that you're OK, if MPA is Master of Something Something and the MA you're doing is a second Masters.