Are Consultants Worth the Money?

cryloren

I was rejected from my dream history PhD program this year, and I full intend on coming back next application cycle with the best application, full stop. 

I have already reached out to the department for feedback re: my fall 2020 application, but at this point, I'm wondering if it's worth it to also get an admissions consultant? Has anyone had any a consultant? If so, what was your experience with them? Were you able to achieve the results you wanted? Any info would be helpful,, thank you!

• 3 months later...

My friend paid $4k for what I felt was just the leg work of applications: opening accounts, filling in forms. They had to know where they want to go, came up with how they'd structure the applications, check rec letter progress, AND double check the forms a lot because the consultant made an error at one instance. Based on that investment/return ratio, I'll say getting an actually good consultant will be pretty expensive. Unless you know exactly why you got rejected and can get a consultant to work specifically on that, talking a lot with your profs and some existing students might be more worth the effort.