Joint Japan/World Bank Scholarship 2020

AnoIchi

Hey Guys,

Couldn't find a thread for the scholarship this time, so thought might wanna open this up. Any news on when the application link will be available on the official website?

I applied to the MPA/ID program at Harvard Kennedy School, which has traditionally been a partner program under the World Bank scholarship. Was informed that this year MPA/ID is not on the list of partner programs. However, no news from World Bank on what is the list of partner programs and preferred programs this year. They seem to be really delayed this year, even before COVID-19 struck.

3 hours ago, misterrpiketty said:

I applied to the MPA/ID program at Harvard Kennedy School, which has traditionally been a partner program under the World Bank scholarship. Was informed that this year MPA/ID is not on the list of partner programs. However, no news from World Bank on what is the list of partner programs and preferred programs this year. They seem to be really delayed this year, even before COVID-19 struck.

Thanks! I got accepted for the MPP program at Harvard Kennedy School and am anxiously waiting for the scholarship application. May I ask where are you from?

On 3/26/2020 at 12:37 AM, AnoIchi said:

Thanks! I got accepted for the MPP program at Harvard Kennedy School and am anxiously waiting for the scholarship application. May I ask where are you from?

Congratulations on your acceptance :) I am from a South Asian World Bank scholarship eligible country. Last year, the deadline for the JJ/WBGSP was in the first week of April, so my guess is that the notification should come out. soon.

So grateful to stumble across this thread and "meet" others interested in the scholarship. Do you guys reckon there's a chance they will cancel the scholarship this year given the covid situation? Wondering if after all this waiting they will just announce that they are not accepting applications this year. 

I am also a successful MPP applicant to HKS. Did you guys receive any financial aid? Very curious what is considered "generous" funding from HKS as I debate (like many others) deferring to next year and re-applying for aid. 

6 hours ago, HooLeeSheet said:

So grateful to stumble across this thread and "meet" others interested in the scholarship. Do you guys reckon there's a chance they will cancel the scholarship this year given the covid situation? Wondering if after all this waiting they will just announce that they are not accepting applications this year. 

I am also a successful MPP applicant to HKS. Did you guys receive any financial aid? Very curious what is considered "generous" funding from HKS as I debate (like many others) deferring to next year and re-applying for aid. 

I have been suspecting this possibility for so long but did not speak so as not to freak others out.

Country run funds like JJ, full bright, Erasmus or commonwealth etc will get stingy for few years now, since they might channel it to fighting Covid. Moreover, economy will be hit badly, possibly an overall recession and country specific depressions. Funding education through loans don't sound good in such a dismal scenario. If this outbreak lingers on and US put stringent conditions on Visas then, on campus classes seem difficult for next 6-9 months. Many US embassies have been shut for Visa appointments. It has become increasingly difficult to keep focus and really enjoy the feeling of selection at such prestigious colleges amidst financial issues and this health crisis. Countries are under lockdowns and arranging finances will be next to impossible by the deposit deadlines. I wish universities give a positive consideration to scholarship appeals or extend the deadline or reduce the tution cost. Otherwise scenarios look bleak as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry for this long post, wanted to vent it out.

Edited by Haber

9 hours ago, Haber said:

I have been suspecting this possibility for so long but did not speak so as not to freak others out.

Country run funds like JJ, full bright, Erasmus or commonwealth etc will get stingy for few years now, since they might channel it to fighting Covid. Moreover, economy will be hit badly, possibly an overall recession and country specific depressions. Funding education through loans don't sound good in such a dismal scenario. If this outbreak lingers on and US put stringent conditions on Visas then, on campus classes seem difficult for next 6-9 months. Many US embassies have been shut for Visa appointments. It has become increasingly difficult to keep focus and really enjoy the feeling of selection at such prestigious colleges amidst financial issues and this health crisis. Countries are under lockdowns and arranging finances will be next to impossible by the deposit deadlines. I wish universities give a positive consideration to scholarship appeals or extend the deadline or reduce the tution cost. Otherwise scenarios look bleak as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry for this long post, wanted to vent it out.

@Haber it won't be that bad, we need to be more optimistic! My understanding is that the established funds usually work through a dedicated corpus which cannot be easily diverted. The JJ/WBGSP had begun a re-evaluation of their entire list of partner and preferred programs around September 2019 and put out a fresh Request-for-proposal. My guess is they were delayed because of that and covid was a knockout blow. Agree with your point about remote classes being a distinct possibility, but tuition definitely needs to be reduced if that happens. At HKS, deferment allows you to be reconsidered for financial aid the next year. May not be a bad option. Even the JJ/WBGSP uncertainty would be sorted out by then.

1 hour ago, misterrpiketty said:

@Haber it won't be that bad, we need to be more optimistic! My understanding is that the established funds usually work through a dedicated corpus which cannot be easily diverted. The JJ/WBGSP had begun a re-evaluation of their entire list of partner and preferred programs around September 2019 and put out a fresh Request-for-proposal. My guess is they were delayed because of that and covid was a knockout blow. Agree with your point about remote classes being a distinct possibility, but tuition definitely needs to be reduced if that happens. At HKS, deferment allows you to be reconsidered for financial aid the next year. May not be a bad option. Even the JJ/WBGSP uncertainty would be sorted out by then.

Thanks @misterrpiketty, Joint Japan is the option I've pinning most of my hopes in. Let's wish it comes up soon.