Purdue PhD vs UFL

prag

Hello all,

I have received acceptance offers from Purdue and U FL both PhD offers in ECE department for fall 2010. However, I did not receive any funding from Purdue. But from U FL I recieved partial tuition wavier which will account for 40% for 30 semester credit hours. My questions are kind of crude but I hope to get some suggestions/answers:

1. Purdue PhD is awesome but its not funded.. What is the probability of me getting funded after going there??

2. If I do not get any funding can I drop out after MS??

3. Considering the bad job scenario, will it be wise to drop out after MS? And if I do so, which place is better to get a job U FL or Purdue?

4. If I don't get an advisor of my choice , then what will be the future course of action??

Thanks in advance.

Edited by prag

Hello all,

I have received acceptance offers from Purdue and U FL both PhD offers in ECE department for fall 2010. However, I did not receive any funding from Purdue. But from U FL I recieved partial tuition wavier which will account for 40% for 30 semester credit hours. My questions are kind of crude but I hope to get some suggestions/answers:

1. Purdue PhD is awesome but its not funded.. What is the probability of me getting funded after going there??

3. Considering the bad job scenario, will it be wise to drop out after MS? And if I do so, which place is better to get a job U FL or Purdue?

4. If I don't get an advisor of my choice , then what will be the future course of action??

Thanks in advance.

Some of this really depends on your field - what area of ECE are you interested in?

• 2 months later...

Similar situation for me, although I had applied for MSE. I opted for UFL, given that Florida is ranked a shade higher than Purdue for my department, and for a PhD, the guide is more important than the University itself. And as of now, without being in either university, we are in unchartered waters.

Hello all,

Thanks in advance.