is it easier to get phd transition offer if i work in a lab during my master program

Jolly44

Hello there, I am about to enroll in a master program and am thinking about joining a lab. My program is a BME MS program and I am 90% sure that I want to pursue a doctoral degree. I am wondering if working in a lab could raise the opportunity when I apply for the transition to phd or better grade is more favorable? Also for 48 units graduation requirement(UC system), is it possible to finish the degree in one year or should I study for 2 years to have more time for lab work and to get better grade?

Thanks for any help and advice, wish you could all get your offer/accepted paper

Lab experience will greatly help a PhD application and, in general, is just as or more important than grades (as long as grades are reasonable). But, there's no way to know whether it's better to do 1 or 2 years. If grades are going to drop significantly by doing it in 1 year, then do it in 2, especially if staying another year results in more publications.