2021 PhD biostats - application eval

veep

Hi everyone,

I am looking to apply to the top ten schools of public health for PhD in Biostats in 2021. I have been working full time for the last few years, and find myself struggling to climb up the corporate ladder without a PhD. Since I have not really had much experience with applying for PhD programs, could any of you seasoned (and successful) veterans out there evaluate my profile and tell me if I would be able to get into any of the programs listed below?

1. PhD, Biostatistics - UC Berkley

2. PhD, Biostatistics - Harvard

3. PhD, Biostatistics - Brown

4. PhD, Biostatistics - Yale

5. PhD, Biostatistics - BU

6. PhD, Biostaistics - Columbia

My admission stats: MPH Biostatistics from BU, 6 years of work experience in big pharma, 7 peer-reviewed manuscripts, several other research report/conference publications, low GPA (3.5), I have not taken GRE yet.

Thank you!!

The most important part of your application is your math background and grades in those classes, so you'll need to post those for us to give you a totally accurate picture, but based on what you've posted, I don't think you have a chance at these programs.

2 hours ago, bayessays said:

The most important part of your application is your math background and grades in those classes, so you'll need to post those for us to give you a totally accurate picture, but based on what you've posted, I don't think you have a chance at these programs.

Just curious. What made you think that he/she doesnt have a chance?

All those programs are extremely competitive and want people with strong math backgrounds and good grades in those classes.  Since they have an MPH and don't mention their math background and don't have a very high GPA, it is unlikely they will be admitted to some of the top programs in the country (even the programs above that aren't extremely highly ranked are highly competitive because of the Ivy status).   Someone in the results thread with a 3.96 from a top school and strong math background was rejected from all these schools.

I'm not going to address your question specifically because I'm new to the field, but if you just want a PhD for the purposes of being able to climb higher in industry, you don't need to attend one of those very top programs. You should definitely consider applying to a wide range of schools so that you don't waste a whole application season.

Just to provide you a bit of context, I do have a strong math background. I have taken 4 years of advanced calculus and statistics during my undergrad days as an engineering student. What other programs would you recommend I apply?

Usually a strong math background means something like a combination of real analysis, linear and abstract algebra as well as more advanced "pure" mathematics classes. However depending on the program "advanced calculus" might be equivalent to real analysis elsewhere. so you'd need to use your judgement on that. 

Look at some of the other profile evaluation threads and use that format to provide the full range of information.  If you don't post what type of undergrad school you went to, the math classes you took and your grades in them, nobody will be able to assist you.  There is simply not enough information in your post to recommend schools for you.