Ixd programs

Livturp

Hey all! Wanted to gather any thoughts on going to grad school for info experience design.

Was recently accepted into Pratt’s MS in Ixd and CCA’s Mdes in Ixd and I’m having a hard time deciding which school to go to/ if I should take that leap.

To give a little background, I got my undergrad in a humanities degree and since then I have been working for a couple years doing talent acquisition and branding for an IT consulting firm. I was finding it impossible to break into the user experience field as is (my job is demanding so finding time to freelance on the side was also very difficult) so I decided to apply to grad school. My job is somewhat design focused now and prior to receiving my undergrad degree, I almost majored in comp sci and learned how to code in java/python/html/css. I felt that an Ixd program could build on my design/tech foundation.  

Does anyone have and/or heard good experiences from the mentioned schools? Or do they find grad school has furthered the career of those with little experience in this field?

Obviously grad school is an expensive undertaking, but I feel very pigeonholed in my role right now and I’m looking for smart options to pivot. 

• 5 months later...

Hi, just joined gradcafe today. Which offer did you accept?

I'm looking to apply to the two plus SVA'S IXD and Parsons DT for the fall 2021 intake. So it would be great if you have any insight regarding either of the two courses. Hope you're doing well!

@lazzyshivam Since I come from a graphic design background, I was looking at IXD programs with a good design - tech balance and I think both Parsons DT and SVA IXD offer that.

The Parson's DT curriculum is broader. The website says "Areas of practice include wearable technology, game design, new media art, digital fabrication, physical computing, interaction design, data visualization, and critical design." (https://www.newschool.edu/parsons/mfa-design-technology/)

On the other hand, the SVA IXD course is a pure interaction design course that slightly overlaps with related fields.https://interactiondesign.sva.edu/mission

Edited by smitha

@lazzyshivam Wow, it's actually great finding a fellow Indian interested in applying to the same places for Fall 2021.

I like the fact that Pratt allows us to pick between Design and Research. Though Pratt IXD is much cheaper than the other programs, and offers an MS, I am a bit apprehensive about it because the number of credits offered are less - only 36 for a 2 year course as opposed to 60 credits offered by the other programs. And, I'm actually not able to find adequate information about alumni/student work considering it is a fairy new course. I think you're also on the same boat.

Both Parsons's and SVA are user research oriented as well. But they're expensive, very expensive, yes (and for an international student it is quite scary, but I'm thinking of it as a BIG investment) However, the industry connections and internship opportunities are pretty great.

Have you considered CCA'S IXD program? I just spoke with someone from CCA's admission department and he said that it best suited for people with 3-5 years of professional experience, it is a one - year intensive IXD course. This might work out cost-wise.

• 6 months later...

Hi guys,

Curious to know if @Livturp opted for CCA or Pratt? and if @smitha got accepted and has enrolled for any between SVA and CCA? 
I recently got accepted into SVA and CCA's IxD program for Fall 2021 and am having a hard time figuring out which one to enroll for. 

Would love to know your thoughts on what factors helped you guide towards or against either of these programs. Thank you in advance. 

:)

Edited by Prachi G

Hey @Prachi G

I got accepted into Pratt and Parsons. I’ll be picking Parsons since I like the curriculum better. I didn’t apply to CCA. 

I think you should go for SVA, the IXD program is amazing! (though more expensive). But it also depends on what your background is and what you’re looking to get out of grad school. 

Good luck, let me know!

Thanks for replying @smitha, Congrats! 

Yes Parsons would definitely be a great choice over Pratt from my understanding and research.  
Agreed, SVA is really expensive. CCA's 1 year duration is what's attracting me towards it. Could you tell me what your research gathered about SVA? Haven't been able to get much info from alumni yet. 

I basically have a background in business + fashion design and I have less than 1 year of work experience in UX. So I will need more projects/ internships to improve my employability on graduation. Thankyou :)

Edited by Prachi G