How to decline an offer politely?

mysteriousmartel

Hi!

Time is quickly (in my mind) speeding towards April 15th, and I have made my decision, but I'm faced with the dilemma of telling programs and the faculty who have kept in contact with me directly that I will be declining their offers. It's very hard for me to say no to things, as I don't like causing disappointment or generating animosity, so I'm wondering if anyone here has some good ideas on how to tell faculty that I will be accepting an offer somewhere else. Moreover, if anyone has ever had multiple faculty members at a school extend offers to you, how did you go about gently nudging away from some because you want to work with others? I just want to leave everything on good terms with people .-. ...

I am in the process of doing this -- in one of the cases, the declined school is in the same region as the accepted one and I'll likely see this profs at conferences or other events. Based on other threads I've seen here, I'm writing that I made a decision to attend elsewhere, that it was tough (it was!) and I really appreciate their time talking to me and answering all my questions. I then add that I hope to see them around at conferences.