Is it weird for PhD interviewers to congratulate me on getting waitlisted?

umsaprp

Hi guys!

I just got to know that I've been waitlisted for a PhD program at the Central European University (CEU)

The weird thing is, when I contacted my interviewers and the school's admission staff to thank them for their support throughout the application process, all three of them replied by saying: congratulations on being waitlisted. One interviewer, who indeed proofread my research proposal before I submitted, even went as far as saying that getting waitlisted signals that I'm ready for doctoral studies.

I've been thinking that, isn't it a bit weird to congratulate me on being put on the waiting list? Does it mean I have a good chance of moving up the list soon?

I still feel like they could have congratulated me on something else or in a different way, like on a competitive interview or something. That would still sound polite and not give out a wrong signal so...

Btw, just 2 quick notes:

1. I was also waitlisted for CEU for my MA and eventually got a full tuition scholarship after waiting for a month. Is history repeating itself here?

2. I've checked the admission statistics, in the last 5 years only 70% accepted their offers. So I'm just wondering if they mean more than just being polite..

Thank you