UChicago versus UWaterloo

AngryLion

I am looking to do my PhD in theoretical computer science, with a focus on quantum computing. I have offers from the University of Waterloo and the University of Chicago and have to choose before April 15th.

I’m inclined towards UChicago: they have a strong crop of theoretical CS professors and are revamping their CS department by recruiting heavily every year. My prospective supervisor there works on very interesting stuff. But, he just joined and I’ll be his first PhD student. So, no idea how he will turn out to be. Also, UChicago isn’t too high in terms of CS rankings (however, they said during grad visit that they are pouring a lot of money into their CS department and rebuilding it big-time).

For UWaterloo, they have an exciting bunch of people working on quantum computing. I already did a Master’s here, so I know and love the place. But, I wanted a change of scenery after being here for two years. Also, since it’s in Canada and I’m an international student, I fear that I might not be favoured to do internships/exchanges in the US or get an academic/research position there long term. 

Any suggestions?