Macro Social Work Careers in Philly, NYC, or DC

I have a career advice question I would greatly appreciate insight on. I'm highly leaning towards pursuing an MSW with a focus on macro practice and am currently completing my bachelor's degree in Government & Public Policy at the University of Baltimore. I am not entirely sure what specific direction I want my career to take but I know that I love research and writing, activism, and being involved in social movements focused on racial justice, LGBTQ solidarity, and transcending capitalism. Ideally, I'd be happy working in an advocacy, community organizing, research, or policy analysis capacity.

I had planned to stay in the DMV area for the near future but recent developments (both my parents have died in the space of four months) have spurred me to explore a drastic change of scenery and consider moving to other cities within the next few years. It seemed sensible to stay in the DMV area if I wanted to do meaningful work in the realms of policy and advocacy, considering the proximity to D.C. I am a born and raised Baltimorean and believe Charm City is vastly underrated. But given that I've called Baltimore home my whole life (just turned 30 two weeks ago), my soul feels emotionally and spiritually ready to begin a new chapter in another metropolitan area.

I've fallen in love with Philadelphia and am also fascinated with NYC. Philly seems to be the most reasonable prospect given the cost of living being much more manageable than the astronomical costs of living in either NYC or D.C. But, I'm not sure what job prospects would exist if I sought to do macro social work focused on policy or advocacy in Philly. I know Temple University has a strong focus on macro work but I'm not familiar with what the employment prospects are for this type of work in the Greater Philadelphia metro area.

Would love to hear from macro practitioners in either the Philly, NYC, or DC area about the pros and cons, as well as viable employment prospects, available in each respective city. Thanks so much!

Edited by Phillip Clark