George Washington Ph.D. program???

adaptations

I am in need of any and all information about GW's Ph.D. program. I am curious about everything from their professors, placement records, funding opportunities, strengths, weaknesses etc... I was recently given an interesting offer and need as much information as possible, ASAP.

Links to useful websites are always encouraged... Thanks!!!

i think it depends on the subfield...they're definitely stronger in IR and comparative than others. though its not princeton/columbia/berkeley/wustl level, its a pretty good program. generally younger up-and-coming faculty, which could be very advantageous. they also don't fund everyone (like g-town)...what's up w/ the DC schools on this???? did you already hear from them? i thought i read somewhere that they weren't doing admits until next week or the week after.

Thanks for the info. I focus on IR so I'm glad to hear they have some respect in that area. I am really looking for insights about their placement record, as I have not found much on the internet. If anyone has any further ifo, it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Past Placement

Queen's University*
National Defense Intelligence College*
George Washington University
University of Hong Kong*

Hastings College *
University of Toronto*
California State University, Fresno*
DePaul University *

Karlstad University, Sweden*
Occidental College
Singapore Management University*
Temple University
Iona College*

Old Dominion University*

Corporate Executive Board

Earlham College*

Rikkyo University, Tokyo*

University of Tampa*

California State University, Fresno*

Carleton College*

Kent State*

William and Mary*

Drake University*

Pennsylvania State University, Kutztown*

Valencia Community College*

Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology

George Washington University

University of Delaware*

Goteborg University (Sweden)

Washington Center for Modern China

Amnesty International

*--- tenure track

As you can see... placement certainly is not that great if you wanted to work at a Top 30 school. I see that many have started out at smaller colleges/universities and who knows what they may be doing now... can always move up. I would say that GWU is not that strong at placement however, it depends what you are looking for... do you want to work in DC at the world bank, IMF, EU, UN? Then it is pretty good and you are already in the area so that makes getting your face and research out much easier.

By the way, have you already heard???? I thought they were still making decisions? (I heard 2 more weeks)

If that's the case... fooy for me, another rejection...

In: UConn (but awaiting funding)

Out: UVA, UNC

Come On: GWU, American

Since I'm sure people are curious, I know that the committee has been meeting this week. I was contacted with a personal email, which informed me that decision letters have NOT been mailed.

I appreciate the information on their placement record. Thanks,

EDIT: Also a little foolish of me not to have noticed the link to their recent placements on their website, lol.

Since I'm sure people are curious, I know that the committee has been meeting this week. I was contacted with a personal email, which informed me that decision letters have NOT been mailed.

I appreciate the information on their placement record. Thanks,

EDIT: Also a little foolish of me not to have noticed the link to their recent placements on their website, lol.

Was this someone you know in the department or do you get the impression that it's the beginning of their non-letter contacts to admits? Or do they only admit via snail mail? I'm confused and hungry, and there wolves after me...help! :)

Here is GW's situation. The committee has met and decisions will be sent out soon (I don't know the specifics). I know from the head of the department that I am the only person who has been contacted, other than his mother, but that was for a different issue. I was contacted due to a special circumstance surrounding my application, which I do not feel is appropriate to divulge on this forum, at least not until the application cycle is complete (sorry).

There have been no decisions sent out for any other applicants at this time, thus nobody has anything to fear.

Cheers,

Congrats on the GW admit!

I'm not sure if you're comfortable sharing, but I wondered if they offered funding (or will they be announcing that later?) and also, is there going to be a campus visit (and are they paying for the travel, etc.?)

Thanks!

After talking with the director of the department I now feel more comfortable explaining my situation and answering the question above.

I had applied to GW's masters program in Poli Sci. I was contacted recently and notified that I was admitted, but that they would like me to enter their Ph.D. program instead. I was informed that I would be the only person in the masters program, if I chose to maintain that status. Today I agreed to switch my status to the Ph.D. program (so I am in!!!), however, because I applied as a masters applicant, I was not considered for funding. Thus, they have already allocated their funding, and I was not considered. Now I am only going to receive funding if others decline. The director estimated I have a 25% of receiving funding.

Although I am genuinely interested in GW's Ph.D. program and feel they have multiple faculty who would be good matches, I don't think I will be able to attend unless they are able to provide funding. I hope something works out, but I am not optimistic.

I hope this info. helps.

Cheers,

After talking with the director of the department I now feel more comfortable explaining my situation and answering the question above.

I had applied to GW's masters program in Poli Sci. I was contacted recently and notified that I was admitted, but that they would like me to enter their Ph.D. program instead. I was informed that I would be the only person in the masters program, if I chose to maintain that status. Today I agreed to switch my status to the Ph.D. program (so I am in!!!), however, because I applied as a masters applicant, I was not considered for funding. Thus, they have already allocated their funding, and I was not considered. Now I am only going to receive funding if others decline. The director estimated I have a 25% of receiving funding.

Although I am genuinely interested in GW's Ph.D. program and feel they have multiple faculty who would be good matches, I don't think I will be able to attend unless they are able to provide funding. I hope something works out, but I am not optimistic.

I hope this info. helps.

Cheers,

Wow, that really sucks. Compliment (hey we want you for PHD) + punch in the stomach (ah, but no funding!) = bad.

I take it they'll be contacting people soon though; so hopefully you won't have that long to wait to hear.

I got in GW with 18K stipend (notified yesterday)! I just wanted to let the other GW admit without funding know that his/her 25% chances might be higher because I am 99% sure that I am going to reject that offer (because of a better match with another school). So hang on there tight and wait...it might take me a while to definitely reject (as it is a really good offer), but I am pretty sure I will. I am just waiting to make some final consultations. I hope it works for you and others who are waiting at GW as it is a truly good place.

Congrats....I haven't heard a word from GW yet, guess they are going to reject me..anyway, what's your field?

Comparative Politics. I got a personal email from one of the profs, so I would not lose hope. i am sure they are writing them up still. I wish you the best of luck!!!

Thanks for all the info from the other admit. I will keep my fingers crossed for funding, as I would really like to work with some of GW's professors.

As for GW's admissions, I was told they received over 400 applicants this year, and that they were looking to enroll 12 students. I do not know how many people they admit to get close to their ideal enrollment number.

Cheers,

I hope you guys get in to GW and really consider it. I absolutely loved it there. The profs I had (in the Elliott School, Poly Sci phds take alot of their classes there) were tremendous, and really cared about their students. Henry Nau who does IR is great, as is Martha Finnemore...

adaptations said:

I hope this info. helps.

Cheers,

By director, do you mean Chair of the Department or the Graduate Advisor? I'm going to email concerning my status, but I wanted to make sure I'm sending it to the right person.

YAY i got in!!!!!!!

I checked the website and a link was suddenly in there indicating that a decision had been made...I skimmed it assuming it was a rejection like all the rest, until I realized it said Congratulations!!!! I am in shock!!

No details on funding included so I'm not sure where I stand on that, but it said that the "complete terms and conditions" of my admission will be included in the mailed version.

WAHOOO!

YAY i got in!!!!!!!

I checked the website and a link was suddenly in there indicating that a decision had been made...I skimmed it assuming it was a rejection like all the rest, until I realized it said Congratulations!!!! I am in shock!!

No details on funding included so I'm not sure where I stand on that, but it said that the "complete terms and conditions" of my admission will be included in the mailed version.

WAHOOO!

congrats!! :) I am glad it worked out for you!!