George Washington Ph.D. program???

adaptations

That is so awesome, congrats. If you have any questions whatsoever about GW, please ask. I worked and went to school there for my masters at the Elliott School and could answer probably any question you could think of, from either the student side or the administration side.

That is so awesome, congrats. If you have any questions whatsoever about GW, please ask. I worked and went to school there for my masters at the Elliott School and could answer probably any question you could think of, from either the student side or the administration side.

Thanks tidefan! I really appreciate it!

I can tell you right away that if you are not planning on living in foggy bottom, you should look at the stops along the orange line in NoVa (Northern Virginia), look up falls church, balston, fairfax, merrifield (where there is some pretty affordable housing, 800-1000 for a 1 bdr), or rosslyn (if you have 2 grand to spend on a 1 bdr apt.).

Yeah, good info--thanks! I would love to live near a close metro stop! I actually live in MD at the moment, and work in DC...it's a pretty long commute into the city, but I'm used to it at this point. I'm hoping that going back to a class schedule as opposed to a rush-hour 9-6 job can at least put me into the off-peak metro fares to save a little money.

Yeah, good info--thanks! I would love to live near a close metro stop! I actually live in MD at the moment, and work in DC...it's a pretty long commute into the city, but I'm used to it at this point. I'm hoping that going back to a class schedule as opposed to a rush-hour 9-6 job can at least put me into the off-peak metro fares to save a little money.

Then I don't suppose you could go to 2000 Penn, drop by el burro, order me a black bean burrito, and fedex it to me from the mailboxes etc. that is right next door?

Then I don't suppose you could go to 2000 Penn, drop by el burro, order me a black bean burrito, and fedex it to me from the mailboxes etc. that is right next door?

Haha...I'm not so sure you'd WANT the burrito by the time it got to you, but I could certainly give it a shot! ;)

Is anybody attending the open house in April? I heard I was an alternate for funding and I'm planning to go (I'd really be tempted to go if funding worked out....)

Anybody have any insights into the "alternate funding" process? Anybody know what funding entails there or what the stipend is? I'll need to check....

Thanks!

I'm definitely attending the open house. I haven't gotten a letter yet, so I've heard nothing about funding. I'm pretty sure that I'll make it work out even if I don't get funding. I want to be in DC so badly that I think it might be worthwhile.

When did you all hear about the open house? I re-checked my admission packet but didn't see anything about it in there. I would definitely like to attend, though, assuming I'm invited!

Unfortunately I was told pretty much flat-out that I would not receive any funding, which really sucks. I don't see how I can make it work otherwise...

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I'm going to be there. I'm from CA, so I had to commit to go in order to book a flight that was at all affordable. I'm going to Georgetown's open house on Friday and GWU on Monday. I'm really hoping funding will work out for one of the schools, but I'm still waiting to see.

• 11 months later...

apologies to bring this old thread to the light again... well, i've been just told acceptance to GWU phd program. and as i have little other alternatives in this difficult year, my decision is either yes or no to GWU. (i declined admissions from a couple of other lower-tier programs). i've said i'm interested in 'ipe of security in east asia' at my sop, but given the faculty's strenghts, i'm thinking of re-directing my research area focusing on something about US-China. but, as an international applicant, i have virtually no information about the univ itself, reputation etc. would it be worth going? what's their phd program like? (they mention all the good things about their program at the website, but it's difficult to compare with other comparable programs.) are faculty members friendly to graduate students? any comments would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks in advance. :D