The New School

msgirl23

I need an opinionon my current situation. I am currently waiting to hear back from the New School for a MA in International Affairs. Here's my situation. When I first applied,the deadline was Feb 15. I had all of my documents in by then and was told I could expect to hear back around mid March. When that time came and went, I emailed Admissions and they told me that: "The first wave of letters went out on the 15th. That being said,you should receive a decision within the next two weeks." Okay so fast forward to April, I don't hear anything so I call and ask Admissions for an update. Eventually, what I find out is that they did not send my application tothe department of International Affairs until March 9th. The school was on spring break 3/15-3/21. So I'm looking on their website for any morsel of information,and see that the posted deadline for admission has been changed to March 15. Frustrated, I tracked down the department's number and called them to ask when I should expect to hear back. The woman who answered the phone told me "not to expect to hear back before the end of the month [April]" and led me to believe it would be closer to beginning of May. This is semi-ridiculous and really driving me nuts. Any advice or tips?

Edited by msgirl23

I need an opinionon my current situation. I am currently waiting to hear back from the New School for a MA in International Affairs. Here's my situation. When I first applied,the deadline was Feb 15. I had all of my documents in by then and was told I could expect to hear back around mid March. When that time came and went, I emailed Admissions and they told me that: "The first wave of letters went out on the 15th. That being said,you should receive a decision within the next two weeks." Okay so fast forward to April, I don't hear anything so I call and ask Admissions for an update. Eventually, what I find out is that they did not send my application tothe department of International Affairs until March 9th. The school was on spring break 3/15-3/21. So I'm looking on their website for any morsel of information,and see that the posted deadline for admission has been changed to March 15. Frustrated, I tracked down the department's number and called them to ask when I should expect to hear back. The woman who answered the phone told me "not to expect to hear back before the end of the month [April]" and led me to believe it would be closer to beginning of May. This is semi-ridiculous and really driving me nuts. Any advice or tips?

It's a shame that they misled you regarding the deadline date. You didn't mention if you have other schools lined up and if you need to submit other decisions before you hear back from this school. Does that change how you'll handle an acceptance or a rejection from this school?

It's a shame that they misled you regarding the deadline date. You didn't mention if you have other schools lined up and if you need to submit other decisions before you hear back from this school. Does that change how you'll handle an acceptance or a rejection from this school?

Well, I know its against all sound advice, but I only applied to one school. I had my reasons for this, one of them mainly being that I am freshly graduated from undergrad and need more work experience to even think about applying to other schools, such as Columbia's SIPA program. Ideally, I would like to do sustainable international economic development. I figured my best bet would be to try to get into grad school, have a sound reason to move to NYC, and be surrounded by the kind of foundations and companies that are making things happen. However, I never anticipating living in limbo for 3 months, or else I might have expanded my net more thoroughly.

I feel your pain. I applied for my MA in Media Studies from The New School and have been waiting *impatiently* ever since. I've e-mailed the school a couple times regarding acceptance and still no word. What's even more frustrating is seeing the other students who post that they HAVE been accepted. All of my materials were sent in on Feb. 16th so my file didn't enter review until mid-March. I wish you the best and hope you know that you aren't alone in this excruciating process. :S

I feel your pain. I applied for my MA in Media Studies from The New School and have been waiting *impatiently* ever since. I've e-mailed the school a couple times regarding acceptance and still no word. What's even more frustrating is seeing the other students who post that they HAVE been accepted. All of my materials were sent in on Feb. 16th so my file didn't enter review until mid-March. I wish you the best and hope you know that you aren't alone in this excruciating process. :S

That makes me feel some what better to know that I'm not the only one going through this. Its leading me to believe either my application is really unimpressive or they are really slow in letting people hear back. I feel like it might be the latter, knowing that they have changed the dealine and told me 2 different timelines in which I should hear back. Let me know if you hear anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Shifting timelines isn't just limited to the New School. NYU "adjusted" theirs on a few occasions too.

Out of curiosity, any reason why you didnt apply to NYU?

I looked into NYU but found that they did not really offer what I was looking for, which was a concentration in economic development.

Have you heard anything from them yet?? I, like you, applied to just the New School for a multitude of reasons and was placed on the wait list for MA in Media Studies :(. I wish I would have applied to a few more programs but I'm still holding onto some hope. They said that I wouldn't hear word until late May and through the summer, which really blows. Do any of you know how their wait-list has worked out in the past?

• 2 years later...

Ebonyeyez, just out of curiosity, what are your "multitude of reasons?" I too applied but have yet to get an answer. (Applied a bit late) Is this a program that usually leads to landing a good job upon completion? That is a biggy for me...Tired of being broke! Don't get me wrong the faculty and curriculum is right up my alley. Thanks in advance!