NYU Courant Math MS Or Columbia APAM Applied Math MS?

Hi guys,

I was recently accepted by the math master program in nyu courant and applied math master program in columbia apam. I have been considering on this for several days, can somebody share your opinions with me?

My goal(till now) is to do research in applied mathematics, and I will(I think) apply for phd program in applied math or math after graduation. I am interested in applied math, pde, analysis, etc. Here are some information about those two programs.

1. The Courant Institute is ranked 1st in applied math, while Columbia has its general reputation.

2. Courant offers students the opportunity to write a thesis if I can get a GPA above 3.7 on 18 credits, while APAM has a MS Research Specialization for students interested in it. 

3. I can apply for TA in Courant while it's not possible in Columbia. 

I prefer the Courant Institute for its high ranking in applied math, but people around me have different ideas preferring Columbia for its name.

Looking forward to your sharings and pls let me know if there are any more information I can share!

I don’t know much about applied math, but I’ll add something anyway.

I do know that Courant probably has the best applied math program in the country. Columbia does have more lay prestige because of Ivy League etc., but I frankly wouldn’t consider NYU to be any less in terms of general prestige either.

This subforum has more or less become statistics/biostatistics only, I think you would have more luck on the math gre forum iirc.

FWIW though turning down a program that gives you a thesis option, is ranked higher, and has opportunities for funding when you want to move on to PhD programs just to go to one that has more lay prestige seems unwise to me personally.

8 hours ago, likewater said:

This subforum has more or less become statistics/biostatistics only, I think you would have more luck on the math gre forum iirc.

FWIW though turning down a program that gives you a thesis option, is ranked higher, and has opportunities for funding when you want to move on to PhD programs just to go to one that has more lay prestige seems unwise to me personally.

Thanks for advice, I have posted it on the math gre! And just a clarification, I can apply for TA as a master in Courant, but I can't directly transfer to a phd program and get the funding. Still need to re-apply after graduation.

5 hours ago, statsday said:

I did applied math for my masters and I know a lot of applied mathematicians through work. I would choose Courant if the research interests match. If you’re going to apply to applied math PhDs then all the programs you apply to will likely place Courant above Columbia. 

I have general interest in applied math like biomath, pde, analysis, etc.. However, I don't have a clear interest on a specific concrete math problem till now. probably that's why I'm applying for a master program than a phd :(

10 hours ago, clairedare said:

I don’t know much about applied math, but I’ll add something anyway.

I do know that Courant probably has the best applied math program in the country. Columbia does have more lay prestige because of Ivy League etc., but I frankly wouldn’t consider NYU to be any less in terms of general prestige either.

Thanks for the opinion! It's just my family and friends would recognize the ivy at once, but they need to search online for the courant.

On 4/13/2020 at 12:25 AM, bayessays said:

Courant is renowned as the top applied math school.  I don't think it's worth passing up to impress your family/people you meet at the bar unless there is some other reason to choose Columbia.

Thanks! I think I have made my decision by now, the courant. It's true that some required courses in the master program is undergraduate level, but as I discussed with the director, it's possible to skip or substitute some courses if I can convince him of my knowledge.