Still No Decision From Some Schools?

Willll

Hi all, it's passed the 15th now, but I still haven't heard back from UPenn, Cornell, and CMU yet. Applied to their math Ph.D. programs, and I figure I am most likely rejected. My last hope is that UPenn does have masters program in math, and when I emailed them by the end of march they did mention that "we have not yet indicated your rejection decision in the system just yet". Anyone has any idea what's the situation like for me now? Am I just rejected and they are too busy/didn't bother to email me? Or is there still possibility that UPenn is considering me for their master program?

Hello , Upenn does not consider for the masters program if you applied to their PhD program. Atleast, that was the case for mechanical engineering. I think it will be same across other streams as well. Do check the FAQs page. However, you might be considered for their masters program once you get in contact with the admissions coordinator of your department.

https://gradadm.seas.upenn.edu/faq/

Hope this helps! Good Luck!!

1 hour ago, Soumith Udatha said:

Hello , Upenn does not consider for the masters program if you applied to their PhD program. Atleast, that was the case for mechanical engineering. I think it will be same across other streams as well. Do check the FAQs page. However, you might be considered for their masters program once you get in contact with the admissions coordinator of your department.

https://gradadm.seas.upenn.edu/faq/

Hope this helps! Good Luck!!

Thanks for the reply! I did email the director of admission/other officiers a few times, and indicated that I wish to be considered for their master program as well, but they did not reply explicitly if they would do it. It's passed the 15th now, so I am assuming I'm rejected, but I really wish to have a clue of what's going on, so that I can make my decision (my other offer is also a master offer, so I would choose UPenn if they eventually give me one). Luckily this other offer has a much later deadline since it's not funded & because of COVID-19, so I can wait some time more. It's just frustrating.

• 9 months later...

I wouldn't freak out just yet. Currently waiting for 5/6 applications currently, and the one acceptance I have hasn't announced funding offers yet. From what I know, many universities don't start sending out acceptance letters until early Feb at the very earliest. I've seen letters come in as late as March. I'm speaking from a mathematics perspective, but I have a friend who got into the PhD program for Chemistry in a school here in the Southeast (United States, for clarity). He got his letter in early-mid Februrary. I think there's still time. Don't let go of hope just yet.