Grad Programs Choosing

WillX

Hi there,

I am currently a junior majoring in English literature and would like to apply to a grad program in art history. Since I know not much about programs in this area, any suggestions would probably be helpful for me. I would like to focus in the area of  modern and contemporary art and want to finally pursue a PhD degree. Do you have any suggestions on my choosing some good programs to apply to? 

I was thinking about Columbia's MODA, NYU's IFA and a program at UChicago, but after reading some posts talking about them being cash cows, I become now again confused. 

Thank you so much!!! 

You should plan to apply to a mixed ecology of programs depending on your experiences and interests. Some suggestions besides the ones you've listed above: Tufts, The Courtauld, Williams, Oxford, Cambridge, Bard (Curatorial Studies), UT Austin. You could also explore programs like Goldsmiths, particularly if you're interested in a critical theory approach.

Beyond the obvious geographical differences, these programs each have different strengths and weaknesses, so it's worth exploring the faculty and course pages at each university/department.

I won't comment on the "cash cow" reputation of the other programs as I didn't attend one of these. For what it's worth- I know two people who have attended MODA at Columbia- one was quite happy with the program and the other was not at all.

Edited by nel09

16 hours ago, nel09 said:

You should plan to apply to a mixed ecology of programs depending on your experiences and interests. Some suggestions besides the ones you've listed above: Tufts, The Courtauld, Williams, Oxford, Cambridge, Bard (Curatorial Studies), UT Austin. You could also explore programs like Goldsmiths, particularly if you're interested in a critical theory approach.

Beyond the obvious geographical differences, these programs each have different strengths and weaknesses, so it's worth exploring the faculty and course pages at each university/department.

I won't comment on the "cash cow" reputation of the other programs as I didn't attend one of these. For what it's worth- I know two people who have attended MODA at Columbia- one was quite happy with the program and the other was not at all.

Thank you for your kind advice!! I think I am now a little confused by tons of info that I found on the websites of those universities, and yes, I need to explore more about them. 

it is a quite nervous thing to determine the programs that I will apply, haha. Thank you again!