COVID-19 Impact?

gininteacups

Hi everyone! I hope everyone is safe and sound. The current global pandemic is unprecedented and I personally feel very surreal. I have seen its impact on applications already (I know someone whose financial offer was withdrawn...) and I think it definitely would influence the upcoming application season this year. I am curious about what you guys think and also how do you think it would influence current graduate and PhD students as well as academia in general?

I'm entering MA programs next year and it terrifies me. My top choice is Courtauld, which I may not be able to go with the borders being closed since I'm a foreigner... So I might has to go to my 2nd or 3rd choice. I want to enter a program next year because the 2021 fall will be SO competitive because I know a lot of people are holding off to enter a program. ITs a tough choicde for everyone.

Most conspicuously, I think that funding is going to shrink rather drastically. This likely means that most PhD programs will be offering less places, and that all of their new hiring will stop. Realistically, places in academic will shrink across the board. 

But I would like to also suggest to anyone feeling anxious, or feeling like they have to rush into a masters this year, that it is okay to take it slow, and that it is okay to take a little more time. Just getting through this global pandemic is enough — don't succumb to the internalised rat race that places productivity above personal wellbeing. It's understandable (and perhaps even desirable) to take a year off and take your time: no one is judging you. Anecdotally, I would just add that this is also the message being communicated to PhD students in my program — students who typically aspire towards excellence, but whom are being told that, in the current climate, doing "fine" is more than enough. 

The funding will come back, and, if you are patient, so will the opportunity to pursue the things you love.