Generalist & programming track at Columbia

jewesse

Hi all,

To put it simply, the pandemic has somewhat shifted my worldview, and therefore my MSW path. I committed to NYU in early March, but now I feel more aware of failing social structures and I’m gaining a fiery passion for systemic change and community organizing. I think clinical social work is an incredible and indelibly important field, but I’m feeling like mezzo and macro work are closer to what I want to do. Though I loved the atmosphere at NYU and it just felt “right” when I visited (whatever that means), I’m now leaning more toward Columbia because they have mezzo and macro focused programs, while NYU is strictly clinical I’m pretty sure. 

Columbia has two concentrations along these lines: Advanced Generalist Practice & Programming, and Policy Practice (esp the former). Does anyone know how different these concentrations are from NYU’s one-track clinical program? Can NYU accommodate macro/mezzo interests? Anything you can offer about Columbia’s different concentrations would be great, particularly the two I mentioned. FYI I was accepted to both schools and Columbia told me it’s not too late to commit. This is my first time posting so let me know if I should be giving more details! Thanks in advance for your help!

I hope people are safe and receiving the support they need—this is a really weird, hard time and while social workers help keep the world running, we have to remember to care for ourselves, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there! I am so happy to see you put this feed out there because I am in the same boat as you! I think I underestimated the clinical focus at NYU, and am now leaning towards Columbia. I know I will be happy with either program, but since I am spending all this money, I want to make sure my heart and gut is in the program I choose to invest in. I do know that when I applied to NYU, I applied for the macro-level track... but as I fell into the forums loophole, I noticed people usually highlighted the clinical focus, which is why I am questioning my decisions since I originally wanted to pursue an MSW because of my mezzo/macro interests. I was accepted into the Social Enterprise Administration track at Columbia, with an interest in International Social Welfare. I am also considering a minor and/or dual degree program. Personally, I appreciate the variety of tracks Columbia is able to offer compared to NYU, which is also a pushing factor that leans me towards Columbia. 

To be honest, I don't have much to weigh in on your question since I also have questions. If I do hear of anything to add, I'd be happy to update you. I just thought I'd extend a friendly hello and let you know that you are not alone in this! :) 

I also have already committed to NYU, and am actually nervous about the process of declining even after I've committed - any advice or insight you have on this would be great! Feel free to message me if you'd like to share some thoughts! :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 3:08 AM, sammiecat said:

Hey there! I am so happy to see you put this feed out there because I am in the same boat as you! I think I underestimated the clinical focus at NYU, and am now leaning towards Columbia. I know I will be happy with either program, but since I am spending all this money, I want to make sure my heart and gut is in the program I choose to invest in. I do know that when I applied to NYU, I applied for the macro-level track... but as I fell into the forums loophole, I noticed people usually highlighted the clinical focus, which is why I am questioning my decisions since I originally wanted to pursue an MSW because of my mezzo/macro interests. I was accepted into the Social Enterprise Administration track at Columbia, with an interest in International Social Welfare. I am also considering a minor and/or dual degree program. Personally, I appreciate the variety of tracks Columbia is able to offer compared to NYU, which is also a pushing factor that leans me towards Columbia. 

To be honest, I don't have much to weigh in on your question since I also have questions. If I do hear of anything to add, I'd be happy to update you. I just thought I'd extend a friendly hello and let you know that you are not alone in this! :) 

I also have already committed to NYU, and am actually nervous about the process of declining even after I've committed - any advice or insight you have on this would be great! Feel free to message me if you'd like to share some thoughts! :) 

Omg hi sorry, didn’t see your reply until now!! It’s very comforting to know someone else is in this boat :)

Since I started this thread, I’ve talked to a few CSSW students about the SEA, PP, and AGPP tracks and eventually submitted a deposit. I totally agree that the variety of options is appealing; I’m thinking of doing a combined MSW/Master of Urban Planning (and it’s not too late—you can apply to the second program during your first year at CSSW). So I’m technically committed to both NYU and Columbia, which I think means nothing except that either my $300 NYU security deposit or $400 Columbia security deposit will have gone to waste (though I am going to try and get a refund and blame my indecisiveness on the pandemic). Compared to tuition though, that’s not much, and I’m with you in that it’s very important that I choose the more worthwhile program! I’m leaning Columbia now.

BUT, plot twist. I’m from Philly originally and just now started considering Penn. It seems less pretentious than and equally strong in macro as Columbia—and the rent would be half of NYC’s. So I applied the other day (rolling admissions) and am hoping for the best but if I’m accepted I might be like, “Nah, I don’t want it now.” This has been a chaotic time but I need to keep reminding myself that any program I choose will be great! Hope this helps! Maybe I’ll see you at Columbia :) Feel free to message me or keep replying with more thoughts.

Note: I edited this down to take out some tea about these schools that I felt bad writing on a public forum lol, but will gladly spill it privately.

Edited by jewesse