Working Full Time / MSW online program - can it be done?

Msw2020sjsu

I'm in my early 30s, just bought a house, and wrapping up my last semester for my BA. I just got accepted into SJSU's online MSW program for Fall 2020 and was thinking I'd be able to do some of my practicum hours at my regular full-time job, since I work in Adult Protective Services. 

I just heard from my advisor and it sounds like the 16 hrs/week of internship have to be entirely different from my regular job. My job may not be able to accommodate that, so I'm facing a decision of either not enrolling, or dropping to part-time in hopes that I can find a paid internship for the other part of my workweek (since I can't financially swing only working part time). I'm waiting to see if there's anything work can do to help me out, but am wondering how others have managed this? 

If you're going in the Fall, are you planning on working at all? What about other MSW online folks? How are you planning to balance your regular obligations / internship needs / time for school? 

Thanks for your opinions!

It’s definitely difficult compared to some other masters programs, due to the field requirements! I’m early thirties and have worked in social work for about ten years as well so I feel you! 

I looked at online programs but ultimately decided to only apply to programs with specific tracks for people already working in the field. Usually called something like “one year residency” or “reduced residency” or similar. I’m lucky in that employer is willing to be flexible by offering me to work on the weekends (freeing up one or two weekdays for school) or offering for me to work 11 hour shifts and reduce my workweek by one day. 

I haven’t begun yet, and won’t have to do field work until later years so I will cross that bridge when it comes. I may end up working the first few years and moving to part time the final year when field work begins.