Switch from Anthropology to Sociology?

j_anna

Hello all! I am thinking about the possibility of switching from Cultural Anthropology to Sociology for PhD programs. I have a BA and an MA in Cultural Anthropology, but after looking through faculty research in Anthro and Soc (and Education and American Studies!), I am starting to wonder if Sociology would be a better fit. I wrote my MA thesis on student activists in NYC, and my interests today are still student activism and social movements, but also labor and politics of higher education. So I guess my questions are 1) in your experience with Sociology or Anth, which field do you think would be more supportive of my research, and 2) if you switched from one to the other, what was your experience? During classes did you feel like you had a lot of catching up to do? As an anthropologist, I am more comfortable with qualitative methods, and I would like to continue working primarily with qualitative methods regardless of the program I end up in. 

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! 

• 3 months later...