GRE required? Will it hurt to not take it?

bobdogs20

Hi everyone, 

I am looking into applying to top computational neuroscience programs and I was wondering if I should take the GRE? Almost all of the schools I am applying to no longer require the GRE. Will it hurt if I apply without a GRE score? Or should I just take it? 

Thanks!

I think this depends quite a bit on the rest of your profile. E.g. if there are shortcomings (esp in GPA) that could be made up by a good GRE score, it's probably worth it. It also depends on how much time/money/stress taking the GRE would mean to you, and how well you expect to do. Find a free practice test online and see?

When a program no longer requires GRE it represents a general attitude that it's not important overall, but the specific adcom members who happen to read your application may still have different views. I assume you've worked in a lab in college, so you could consult your current PI and maybe course instructors as well, who themselves serve on adcoms. You can also email each program's director to try and get a better sense whether GRE is "encouraged but not required" vs "barely considered". One can imagine a school's whole Biosciences division making GRE optional, while the Comp Neuro program in particular still relies somewhat heavily on the GRE Quant score.