Baruch Zicklin vs University of Maine

Melilline

Please help me to decide and to identify more pros and cons for each scenario.

Goal: Career change; Break into academia.

Idealist plan: PhD in System Dynamics @ STERN or PhD in Neuroeconomics @ NYU

Realist plan: Lab manager / Data analyst / Bioinformatician

Scenario 1: MS in Information Systems @ Baruch College. Presential classes. $17,000 total (future) investment. Should take 1.5 years to finish.

Scenario 2: MS in Bioinformatics @ University of Maine. Fully online. $21,000 total investment. Should take 1 to 2 years to complete.

Background:

I moved to the US in 2016. My husband is a scientist, and he got a position in the US. At 27, I had a pretty good mid-career corporate position in our home country, but the economy was falling apart and it wasn't worth to stay there. I hold a BS in mathematics and a graduate certificate in finance, and I had a pretty decent track of achievements in my home country. All of that fell apart in the US.

I started a MS in Information Systems at Baruch College in 2017, but fell severely sick shortly after, leading to severe financial hardship. I had to drop from the college.

I studied only one term, finished 6 credits with a insufferable 2.7 GPA, and had to withdrawn from the other 2 courses I inadvertently tried to do(but couldn't because of pain).

The health issue is super relevant to the decision, so please bear with me: ended up, I have a genetic disorder and in my home country they just used to give intravenous opioids whenever I was in pain. I did not "fell" sick when I arrived in  the US, I just lost access to my medical network and did not have any pain control. Now, I'm diagnosed, but I still don't have access to pain meds.... I have physical therapy twice a week and take anti-inflammatory, muscle relaxers and sleeping pills,  plus manage the pain with Kratom (legal herbal tea). 

In January, we were finally granted permanent residency to the US and I can use FAFSA to go back to school. I'm averagely employed, earning about $50k/year in a position I do not cherish and I want to change. I've been helping my husband with his job for years, and honestly, I want the flexibility academia provides. I've done lots of data analysis for him and its def something I would be very happy doing as a professional.

So here's the dilemma. Should I go back to Baruch? 

MIS @ Baruch pros:

1. Baruch is a some-what respected school of business;

2. I already started, and looks bad being a drop-out.

3. Good job market outlook, aligns with my background.

4. Might give me more leverage to pursue a PhD in System Dynamics at Stern, granted I manage to reverse the initial stain.

MIS @ Baruch cons:

1. Because of my GPA, I'm not eligible to work-study, grants, or other benefits.

2. It will show the bad GPS  and withdraws on my records after I graduate.

3. It's presential, so I will need accommodations to attend and may take longer to finish - because pain.

4. I want to work in academia, and in the short term I see no clear path from Baruch to academia. Maybe I'm shortsighted?? 

Bioinformatics @ UMaine Pros:

1. Fully online. I can take more classes at once, maybe even finish in a year.

2. Academia-focused institution. If I'm smart on how I network I can easily secure a research assistant position in a lab in collaboration with them. There are a few in NYC.

3. Its fun to do and I like it best.

4. No bad GPA/ withdrawn in my transcripts.

Bioinformatics @ UMaine Cons:

1. Rural institution, I'm unsure about its reputation. I doubt I could use it to gain admittance to MIT.

2. Far from me, will be harder to network and I may end up anonymous to my professors.

3. Out of water fish trying to change careers. Uncertain transition.

Thanks y'all.