How about math?

Instigate

Hi guys,

My situation is the following :

I am a student in the N.1 Bulgarian economic university (Bulgaria is in Europe and the EU) and I am planning on getting into a graduate program in the US. I have a problem tough. I have only taken two semesters of mathematics called mathematics part 1 and math. part 2. They basically cover multivariate calculus, theory of probability, matrix algebra, differential algebra, analytical geometry, mathematical programing. I know that I normally need to take all those classes in different courses, so that I would get more solid understanding of the material, but here university courses are not chosen by the students. I can not take more classes in mathematics - first because my university does not offer any more and second because I am not allowed to choose my classes. The university chooses them for me and the state has to approve it. I have thought of taking those courses in a different university but it turned out to be illegal to be in two programs in two different universities at the same time. So I am stuck with only one year of mathematics.

My question is the following - Do I have a shot at all? And second : In school I have been in a special math class (i had 3 times the normal amount of math classes per week) and I have taken courses in competitive math during weekends for about 4 years. I wonder if that counts at all.

Looking forward for your answers.

PhD programs will expect much more background, but masters programs will be more accepting, and will get you the necessary background. Look to apply to those.

What are you planning on studying in the US? The math might not be that big of a deal. You could also submit your syllabi to prospective schools to demonstrate your math knowledge. Some schools will provisionally admit students and allow them to take courses to address any real (or perceived!) deficiencies.

Whatever the case, I doubt this will be a big problem. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

What are you planning on studying in the US? The math might not be that big of a deal. You could also submit your syllabi to prospective schools to demonstrate your math knowledge. Some schools will provisionally admit students and allow them to take courses to address any real (or perceived!) deficiencies.

Whatever the case, I doubt this will be a big problem. Good luck!

Well, I plan on studying economics (growth and labor). I think I got my "math problem" solved. I have just won a scholarship to spend a year in a US College, so I am going to take the math and then I will take some more back here in my home country as a second BS. Hope everything works out the way I won it.