OSAP and OGS - Can I Receive Both?

izzy_c

Question

Hi there, 

I have been accepted into Ryerson for what will be my second MA degree. I have been awarded an Ontario Graduate Scholarship for the year, which unfortunately has meant that the university has rescinded my initial funding offer of $6500. I was hoping that they would add the OGS to this amount, because I would be in a much better financial situation if this were the case!

Anyways, my question here is: Are you able to continue to receive OSAP support even with the OGS scholarship? I am not sure if the online estimator is giving me an accurate amount, and I am not sure how much this would actually affect what I am offered through OSAP. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

3 hours ago, izzy_c said:

Hi there, 

I have been accepted into Ryerson for what will be my second MA degree. I have been awarded an Ontario Graduate Scholarship for the year, which unfortunately has meant that the university has rescinded my initial funding offer of $6500. I was hoping that they would add the OGS to this amount, because I would be in a much better financial situation if this were the case!

Anyways, my question here is: Are you able to continue to receive OSAP support even with the OGS scholarship? I am not sure if the online estimator is giving me an accurate amount, and I am not sure how much this would actually affect what I am offered through OSAP. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

OSAP doesnt restrict you from applying, you'll just likely receive less money OSAP when you declare OGS.

Rules have changed since 2001. You need to read up on the new eligibility requirements at the OSAP site...   http://osap.gov.on.ca/eng/not_secure/eligibility.htm#Ineligi bility   A bankruptcy means default... as per the rules... but the new legislation is not retroactive... so the old rules apply possibly denying you access...   I think the Jan 1 to Jan 1 is a computer glitch on their part. someone keyed in the wrong dates...   I'd call them and clarify...