Question for USC & Columbia Social Work grads!!! And for the social worker community!!

cgnyannn

Hello, I had a kind of specific question. I've been accepted to both USC and Columbia programs, so I'm trying to make the most informed choice between them. If you are a current student or alumni of these programs, please help!!
I'm torn between the two programs. USC didn't offer me any financial aid, but I'm going to do the online program to cut a little bit of the costs, and because it's a shorter program (4 consecutive semesters). I'm leaning towards USC because I've heard alot of good things and I've had a very pleasant experience with the staff at the admissions and financial aid office.
On the other hand, Columbia offered me around 13K per year (not alot but I'll take it), so it's a little cheaper than USC, considering I would need to relocate there from SoCal and the cost of living in NY is...high. There's a specific program I'm interested in (the international social welfare), so I would like to do on-campus, but wouldn't mind doing the general FYCS track, either. 
I guess on paper it makes sense that I would choose Columbia but I think the overall cost won't be too different from the tuition I'd need to pay at USC (again, bc of the living costs and whatnot). And what scares me the most about Columbia is how much negative reviews I've read from previous alumni - I was even considering the online program until I read one post about how there was such an overflow one year that some students weren't able to get field placements. which is HUGE. Also my experience with their admissions office hasn't been that great and I've also read that there's a disconnect between the students and staff there, which also deters me from choosing this program.

I do agree with the general consensus which seems to be to chose the cheaper program. But right now I'm honestly just scared from the reviews I'm hearing about Columbia. 

Whatever the case, I'm hoping to work towards the public service loan forgiveness program, but obviously I'd like to take out as less loans as possible. I emailed USC about an appeal for financial aid but I'm not expecting anything.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to be as specific as I can! Anyone with any insight about the two programs, please help!! I want a more balanced view before I make my final choice. The deadline to decide and pay the deposit for USC is June 25, and Columbia is July 3rd.

Thanks in advance!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in your same boat...sorta. Got into Columbia and Fordham, still waiting on USC. I live in LA and will be doing an online program. Columbia has that "Ivy League" cool factor, but does that even matter for Social Work? Additionally, I want to work in clinical, and I've read that Columbia tends to focus on macro?

Question about the negative reviews you read. I saw a few of them but want to make sure I'm getting a large enough sample size to consider the criticism legit. Are you confident in the consensus about Columbia's online MSW being no bueno?