Profile Evaluation Fall 2021 (Stats/Biostats PhD)

Hey everyone! I've just graduated with my bachelor's and am taking a gap year to work as a data scientist while applying for 2021. I've mainly been looking at Statistics programs but several Biostat programs have also had interesting research so I'm open to options in both. I'd love to hear what you guys think and what I should realistically expect from the process, as well as anything I could leverage or work on in the next few months to strengthen my application! 

Thanks!

Undergrad Institution: Top 20 (US) University
Major: Statistics
GPA: 3.85
Type of student: Domestic male (URM)

GRE (I haven't taken it yet, but based on recent practice exams)
Q: 167+
V: 160+
W: 4.5

Relevant courses:
Math: 
Methods in Applied Mathematics I,II (B+, A), Linear Algebra (A), Probability (A), Math Reasoning (A), Financial Mathematics (A-)
** I am also planning on taking Real Analysis I online in the fall, and Real Analysis II (and possibly Abstract Algebra) in the spring. 
Stats: Statistical Methods (A-), Statistical Computing (A), Mathematical Statistics (A), Spatio-Temporal Statistics (A), Data Mining (A), Applied Logistic Regression (A)
Misc: Text Mining (A), Scientific Computing (A), Neural Networks (A)

Research: 2 years in quantitative psychology lab and an REU

Other: I wrote a senior thesis on robust experimental design, have presented a talk and poster at JMM, and am co-authoring a conference paper for the fall

Programs Considering:
I think I would prefer programs on the west coast, but I am open to all suggestions. If it's a fit, then it's a fit. 

With good letters, I think you can reasonably apply to any program on the west coast. Berkeley, UW and stat programs in the top ten are probably slight reaches.  Getting real analysis on transcript will help. I think the other UC schools are probably matches. I think any biostat program in country would also be reasonable to apply to, so I would think about applying to top biostat programs, including the top 3. The math background is thinner than ideal, but you have great grades from a top school, some research experience, and URM status so I think you'll have really good results especially in biostat. 

I'd recommend taking more math in the fall semester of your senior year, apart from Analysis (maybe "Advanced Linear Algebra", i.e. linear algebra with proofs, and one other upper division math class). If you do well in these classes, you should stand a decent shot at most of the UC schools and possibly UW and UC Berkeley. I think your profile is very solid, and the research experience is a plus. But you should take more math.  

Edited by Stat Assistant Professor