Differences between Environmental Master's programs?

jay_1

Question

Hello everyone, 

Could anyone shed some light on the differences between environmental management, environmental policy, environmental geography, sustainable development, environmental science, and environmental studies Master's degrees? I'm wondering not only about the types of careers that people enter after, but what mix of life sciences, social science, and project management are taught in the programs themselves. I realize this is EXTREMELY broad and therefore difficult to specify---particularly given how interdisciplinary many of these programs are---but any experience or insight would be most welcome! I'm having a very hard time figuring out what programs suit my mixed work/academic experience, are attainable for admittance, etc.

For context, I'm changing careers from environmental journalism. I already have a different Master's from a top university, with a bachelor degree in political science and substantial undergrad coursework in biology and ecology. My work experience has been pretty scattered, though it's all environmental: journalism, communications, advocacy, and research. In a program, I'm looking for something with strong social science research component (like environmental geography), as well as substantial training in ecology and life sciences for someone without a previous bachelor of science. Dream job: to do in-the-field research and project management for an international nonprofits, related to sustainable development, agroecology, wildlife conservation, and/or climate adaptation.

Any thoughts or ideas would be most appreciated! Thanks for reading.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet