My Professors Haven't Submitted my Recommendation Letters and it's due in 3 Days

hopefulgrad28

Question

Has anybody had issues with their recommenders not responding to their email once the deadline is approaching?

Early April, I emailed all three of my recommenders and asked if they were willing to write me a letter. I provided them with both my personal statement and resume, and all three said yes and told me to remind them once the deadline started approaching. I contacted them about a month ago and gave them the first reminder that it's due at the end of June. One of the recommenders responded and told me that they were almost done and they submitted soon afterward. However, the other two haven't responded at all. I don't want to be annoying and I know they have other responsibilities and so I waited and send them another reminder two weeks after.

Now, it's 3 days before the deadline, and I send my most recent reminder 4 days ago and neither of them has responded to any of my emails. They won't even respond to tell me if they're working on it or if they won't be able to do it anymore. I'm scared that they won't submit it and I don't know if it's normal for professors to submit the letters the day of the deadline.

Edited by hopefulgrad28

1 answer to this question

It's plenty normal for professors to submit letters on the deadline date (annoying but normal). However, I would say to have a back up plan i.e. back up rec writers to substitute for the other two professors. If the deadline is in three days, it is troublesome (and calls for worry) that they have not responded to any of your emails to at least inform you that they haven't forgotten. Don't be discouraged and keep emailing them. It is their responsibility to communicate with you since they accepted your request to write the letter on your behalf. So don't feel like you are bothering them by emailing! Even if they are bothered (and spitefully/passively relay it to you), don't feel bad cause its ultimately a reflection of them. Yes professors are busy but they too should be mindful of deadlines and know that they should at least inform students that it will delivered on time. So continue emailing everyday until you get a response. 

A tip for the future, I would recommend giving rec writers an earlier deadline (3 days before or so) so this way you have time to ask for back ups from trusted individuals. Assigning a slightly earlier deadline can also put your mind at ease. Just my advice. As of now just email them but also contact other professors who can do you a solid quickly and well!