Language Training for IR Programs

gen518

Hello All,

Random question, has anyone used Rosetta Stone or similar programs to help prepare for the language requirements of most International Relations programs?

Thanks.

I'm not using it for a language requirement per se, but I'm working with Rosetta Stone. If you've already had to learn a second language in a classroom, it's a great system - but if you don't already have some understanding of the pedagogy/linguistics/comparative grammar, it could be very frustrating as well. Also, for any language that goes only three levels (some go five), I don't know that it will cover sufficient material.

All in all, I'm happy with the system and its flexibility, though.

Hi,

I've used Rosetta off and on in the past, but not specifically for IR programs. I was living in a country and had picked up a fair amount of the language, but I really wanted to take my reading and writing to farther. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I learned a fair amount of grammar, too. With regard to preparing for IR programs, I think it might also depend on what kind of vocabulary (if any) they would prefer you to know. From my memory, most of the vocab I learned was along the lines of house, dog, and other basics. I should add, however, that I never even finished level 1 of the language I was studying (lazy, lazy) so there's not telling what might have been coming. It did seem like the grammar was becoming more and more complex though.

All in all, I found RS helpful, and much cheaper than private language classes. Good luck!

I think it depends on your native language and the language you are trying to learn. Romance languages I assume that it would be sufficient, with learning additional IR-related vocabulary through someplace else. As far as being a native English speaker and trying to learn something like Mandarin or Arabic, Rosetta Stone will cover your basics and I found it helpful with pronunciation. Beyond that, I didn't think it was helpful with learning how to write.

I think it depends on your native language and the language you are trying to learn. Romance languages I assume that it would be sufficient, with learning additional IR-related vocabulary through someplace else. As far as being a native English speaker and trying to learn something like Mandarin or Arabic, Rosetta Stone will cover your basics and I found it helpful with pronunciation. Beyond that, I didn't think it was helpful with learning how to write.

Seconding the part about other character sets. I've had classroom study of Arabic, and without that, I'm really not sure how readily the RS system would have really allowed me to learn to read/write (I'm doing Farsi).

Good point! I forgot to mention that I'd already done some independent study and learned a fair amount of the alphabet before I began using RS. I was able to hit the ground running, so to speak. If I had been starting from scratch, especially with something like Mandarin, I think it would have been a different story. I was studying Thai, so I did have the tonal language but a much simpler (?) alphabet.

My fiancee is using Rosetta Stone right now for Spanish and has not previously had classes for Spanish (but did grow up in El Paso, TX) and it has helped her quite a bit. That said, she has also augmented it with some book studying too.

For myself, I will be using RS and possibly doing private classes for Spanish, all to be finished off with a 4-12 week immersion in a Spanish-speaking country. This is after having already taken 6 semesters of Spanish years ago and spending 5 weeks in Mexico back then. I think being fluent in another language is absolutely critical so I'll be taking it more seriously than my school requires.