Which online program would be better?

getmyphd

Question

Hello everyone,

I am considering two online PhD programs: Capella University's psychology program and Old Dominion University's Public Policy program. Both are online, which is a huge advantage for me as I am also working full time. 

My aim is to work at a university outside of the United States, specifically at any university in South Korea, and I don't care about its ranking. 

In terms of cost, they would both cost approximately the same, because I got a $20,000 scholarship offer from Capella, along with the transfer of 25 credits. 

However, Capella is for-profit, while ODU is non-profit. On the other hand, ODU requires 3 recommendation letters, and it fills me with a lot of anxiety to ask my previous professors (two of whom I got A-s in their courses, and one of whom I got a B in his course but served as his TA with the highest TA evaluations). I was enrolled in a PhD program before, but left it to pursue a job in South Korea. I'm almost ashamed to be asking these professors for recommendation letters.

And yes, I am fully aware that most people would say not to do a PhD unless it was fully funded. I simply have no choice, because of my personal circumstances, but because of my career goals, I need a PhD. 

Which one would give me a better shot at the Korean university job market? Heck, if all I can get is a non-tenure track position as an English instructor at a university, I'd take that in a heartbeat. 

Thank you!

Edited by getmyphd

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet