How to inform my recommender about the deadlines?

Emma000

Hello everyone,

Two of my professors agreed to write a recommendation for me. And I saw people list all the deadlines in a single file to inform their professors, but I haven’t really decided my final list of programs yet and some early round deadlines are approaching, so can I just provide them the deadlines separately for each school when I actually start the application for that program? 

Also, I found out that one of the program that I am applying to just extended their first round deadline from 09/01 to 09/16, but I already told my professors the previous deadline during early August and I still plan to submit my application before 09/01, so should I still update the new deadline to my professors?

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi Emma,

As a professor, I would be seriously annoyed with having to be constantly updated with letter deadlines.  Of course, this might be tempered a little by how much I like the student.  Nonetheless, I personally would prefer a more organized approach.  You can always ask your referees what they would prefer.

I totally get that it's a somewhat chaotic process anyways, but you can reduce the burden on your faculty by grouping your requests instead of doing it individually.  For example, maybe you have one round of 4 or 5 letters to go out.  You could then send a followup email with another round or grouping.  That way the faculty member is not stuck trying to figure out what they're supposed to do for you.

Regarding the changed deadline, there doesn't seem to be any need to notify the referee.  There's no penalty for early materials, right?

Good luck!  -R