UCLA v. USC

pepper88

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone could help me with my impossible decision. It's great to connect with other people going through the same types of issues. I'm trying to choose between schools I was accepted to. I've narrowed it to Washington University in St. Louis, USC, and UCLA.

Does anyone know anything about the WUSTL? I know it's a good program but does anyone have insider information from students - whether they enjoy the program, the professors, etc? They gave me a great scholarship which would make it very affordable.

I'm also having trouble deciding between UCLA and USC, if I choose to stay in LA. UCLA is relatively affordable since I'm a resident, but with new fees etc it will be around 18,900 even for residents, compared to the 11,000 it used to be. I'm thinking of doing the child welfare stipend program though which would cover tuition.

USC is also extremely affordable for me because one of my parent's is a professor, making tuition free!!

I still don't know what I think about UCLA v USC though. I really like the UCLA program, the people, and the school itself (I think going to a public school for social work is more consistent with the values of the profession). But I know USC is a great program too, I just don't know what makes it so great and which I should choose!!

I want to go into child welfare so I think each program would likely prepare me the same, and I might even have similar field placements.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice!!

Lucky you! It looks like you've got a great array of choices to pick from! Congratulations!

One of my former colleagues went to WUSTL and she only had good things to say about the program. She works as a case worker in a homeless shelter for women and she felt that the program really helped prepare her and the school itself carries a bit of the "branding" that can be helpful in the job search.

As for USC, I work with some of the interns that they have placed in the non-profit I'm at and I get really mixed responses from them about the program. They range from a general "it's not bad" to "don't go." One of the complaints that I got was that the school is cutting less funding toward the MSW program and pouring it into their MSW abroad center that they are trying to build up in Taiwan. As a result, the program is running low on vital resources. All the interns compliment the program for the excellent faculty that teach there. I think that it's a consensus that what you get out of the program, depends on how much you put in (applies I think for any program!).

I'm sorry, but I really don't know anything about the UCLA program. Either way though, these are all great programs you're looking at!

On 4/28/2010 at 2:35 AM, emoleys said:

Lucky you! It looks like you've got a great array of choices to pick from! Congratulations!

One of my former colleagues went to U. of Chicago and she only had good things to say about the program. She works as a case worker in a homeless shelter for women and she felt that the program really helped prepare her and the school itself carries a bit of the "branding" that can be helpful in the job search.

As for USC, I work with some of the interns that they have placed in the non-profit I'm at and I get really mixed responses from them about the program. They range from a general "it's not bad" to "don't go." One of the complaints that I got was that the school is cutting less funding toward the MSW program and pouring it into their MSW abroad center that they are trying to build up in Taiwan. As a result, the program is running low on vital resources. All the interns compliment the program for the excellent faculty that teach there. I think that it's a consensus that what you get out of the program, depends on how much you put in (applies I think for any program!).

I'm sorry, but I really don't know anything about the UCLA program. Either way though, these are all great programs you're looking at!

Hi emoleys,

Not to change the subject of this topic, but have you decided on Columbia?

And regarding your school situation, pepper88, I have heard GREAT things about WUSTL and it is consistently rated as a top school.