Applying for PhD in Political Science and MPP

elliemae511

Question

Hi all! Has anyone got experience with applying to both a PhD and MPP program in the same year? I'm applying for Fall 2021 at Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Princeton, Yale and UCB. 

I know that it's possible to apply to HKS MPP and Dept of Govt PhD but I'm cautious about how it might look to faculty. I would love to do a PhD but I could see myself as happy going down a different career route with the MPP. 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by elliemae511

1 answer to this question

6 hours ago, elliemae511 said:

Hi all! Has anyone got experience with applying to both a PhD and MPP program in the same year? I'm applying for Fall 2021 at Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Princeton, Yale and UCB. 

I know that it's possible to apply to HKS MPP and Dept of Govt PhD but I'm cautious about how it might look to faculty. I would love to do a PhD but I could see myself as happy going down a different career route with the MPP. 

Thanks in advance!

So some thoughts:

1. So the most common are MPP people that go for a PhD after about 1 or 2 years in the workforce. An MPP degree in itself isn't really maximized (IMO) without some time in the workforce for you to actually practice what you learn + gain community/contextual. experience.

2. Its usually not advised for MPP students to do a PhD because the MPP is a professionally geared degree and it is not meant to be academically focused. HOWEVER PhD's generally look favorably on MPPs (especially well-respected ones) IF you have geared your MPP more towards academic research. However, you just need to create compelling story of why that MPP interest supports your PhD interests.

So. bottom year, it is an extra 2 years (to 4 if you add in work experience), but it does give you an extra layer of professional connections that can open doors for your professionally down the road. For example,  someone with an MPP would be much more exposed to the law making an execution side of the house and find opportunities there rather than be limited to the academia game.