PhD in Medieval Studies vs PhD in History

LNA

I want to apply for a PhD program that will allow me to focus on Medieval History, and most schools that I'm looking at offer both a Medieval Studies PhD and a PhD in History which can be focused on Medieval History. I am not entirely sure what the differences between the two types of programs are, are there any benefits or negatives to getting a PhD in one or the other?

• 3 months later...

So, my MA was in medieval history and not medieval studies. Here is the difference - to be a medieval studies program, the school has to have the tools to train you in paleography, latin, medieval historiography, etc. An MA in medieval history (which is what I did) allows you to take historiography classes on the medieval/early modern period, and produce a thesis on a medieval topic. I focused on late medieval Italy and worked with French and Italian. 

As far as the question of negatives - it will be much harder to get a job with a medieval studies PhD. Not impossible, but very hard. If you get a degree in history, you have a little wider options. No matter what you do, my advice would be to a) do what makes you happy and b) make sure that your project is broad enough a topic to help with the job market.

For a PhD if you want to be a historian, get a PhD in History. It is much, much harder to get a job with a PhD in Medieval Studies than in History.

This does not apply for a MA - either an MA in History or in Medieval Studies is a fine prequel to a History PhD. It can be easier to get a Medieval Studies MA funded than a History MA, and usually you can focus mainly on History in the medieval Studies MA anyway.

13 hours ago, remenis said:

For a PhD if you want to be a historian, get a PhD in History. It is much, much harder to get a job with a PhD in Medieval Studies than in History.

This does not apply for a MA - either an MA in History or in Medieval Studies is a fine prequel to a History PhD. It can be easier to get a Medieval Studies MA funded than a History MA, and usually you can focus mainly on History in the medieval Studies MA anyway.

Yes - however, to get funded for a MA in medieval studies, you will need to know Latin well. Language will be a big barrier medieval work. Getting funded in general for MA work is hard, especially now.