Applying to Grad School coming from a different background

hibiscusleaves

So I am currently obtaining my bachelor's degree in engineering (geophsyical) but I've been working as a graphic designer for more than 2 years. Because of my country's education system I was unable to transfer to design when I found out it's what I wanna do in life. Now I'm planning to apply to Master's degree in graphic design and communication design, and I want to ask if anyone had an experience of applying to grad school for a major different than your bachelors. I mainly want to go to either Yale or Pratt and I know that Pratt doesn't have a problem with this but I wanna know if Yale would accept an engineer to it's MFA in graphic design.

Also, how important is gpa in my case? Because of working while studying my gpa isnt in a perfect condition, i'm just hoping they care more about my portfolio.

Any kind of advice is appreciated!

We have students come to our program from different backgrounds somewhat regularly. It's a small percentage of applicants, and in some cases they make a good case for why they want to move to the new field and show that they have the aptitude for it. It's not a barrier in and of itself, and in some cases the different background adds good diversity to our cohorts.

7 hours ago, RyanS said:

We have students come to our program from different backgrounds somewhat regularly. It's a small percentage of applicants, and in some cases they make a good case for why they want to move to the new field and show that they have the aptitude for it. It's not a barrier in and of itself, and in some cases the different background adds good diversity to our cohorts.

Thank you so much for your answer!