Schools in the West

aspiringdoc

Is anyone else applying to public universities in the western U.S. (other than the UC's or Stanford)? I have heard from about half of the schools to which I applied, but I am still antsy to hear news from the rest... It looks like it may still be too soon to hear from UW Seattle, but has anyone heard from CU Boulder or University of Oregon, specifically? I just want to know all of my options before I get too attached to a particular program. But right now, it looks like I'll have to choose EITHER the program OR the desirable location, but not get both. Anyone else? This is tough...

A classmate of mine said he heard from UC Boulder last week. He was accepted to a MA program in ancient history, with decent funding. I got the impression his program was under the auspices of the history adcom rather than classics, but if you're still waiting to hear back I can find out for you.

Yeah, for ancient history I'd think that would definitely be the history department. Hmm...probably doesn't bode well for me if he/she heard last week, and I haven't heard yet. On another note, I actually heard back from Oregon today, though, via the mail - rejected. :( I'll keep my fingers crossed and see about Boulder. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

ugh...s/o heard from boulder? for what it's worth i haven't, though given my track record so far i'm not expecting much

that's frustrating that s/o apparently got into boulder, but since i didn't apply for ancient maybe i shouldn't get too nervous. their website said they wouldn't send out decisions any earlier than the 3rd week of march, but i'm going to be out of town the whole week so i won't get the pleasure of checking my mail box 10 times a day!

just heard from the DGS at Boulder...got into PhD. they said no funding at this point, but something may come up. let me know what you think of boulder, and good luck.

now i'm back to square one. go to MA for free at Oregon, or (potentially) pay for PhD at slightly better ranked, probably better fit Colorado.....decisions decisions.

Pjizz - Congratulations! I also got an e-mail awhile ago, stating I was being offered admission but no funding yet. :( I was ecstatic for a second, but then I realized crap, I can't go if I don't get funding! I wonder how far down the list we are for $$$? I asked the Grad Director, but she hasn't answered. I have fully funded offers at three other schools - but as much as I love one of the programs in particular, I still wonder whether the Boulder name might help me have a better chance at a TT job later on? I'm in American history, with an interest in the West. Any thoughts?

yea i e-mailed asking pretty much the same thing...it is close to the 4/15 deadline and these schools need to realize how quick we are all going to have to end up making decisions. that's great you have other fully funded options...i only have 3 admits and a fourth with funding, so my options are pretty limited at this point. i'm seriously considering calling in a few days to find out. if i get funding i would definitely want to visit, but i need to know where to visit so that i can split up my verrrry limited funds for airfare and what not. anyone think that would be too brazen?

• 2 weeks later...

i got an e-mail back from the DGS at Boulder. she was really helpful and, after I had explained my situation, she let me know that two of my potential advisers had recently accepted positions at other schools. that was good information to know, and I definitely appreciated it. that led her to postulate that Colorado might not be a better fit, and I agree with her.

since I visited and loved it, and since I came home and found my straggling 3 rejection letters, it looks like I'll be a duck for the next two years. i'm totally pumped about it as the city and school just seem like a fun place to be for the next two years, if not longer. hope something has worked out for you, aspiringdoc....it was so damn competitive this year. even though I didn't get into my dream school, i'm overwhelmed just by the thought of going anyways.