Symposium application question

tangerinedream

Hi everyone,

I am applying to present a paper at a postgraduate symposium. Along with an abstract, I am being asked to submit a short biography. Does anyone have advice on how to structure it? Should I write it in first or third-person? I assume I should focus on my research and relevant experience? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Third-person would be the voice to use. Generally, these biographies are required to fall under a certain number of words, and not that many in my experience, a short paragraph. If there are no guidelines given for this symposium, I would look up the programs for similar events to find examples of ones that you like. Many journals include author biographies that follow the same format. But yes, your research and publishing achievements are the primary topics. Highlights as opposed to an overly thorough rundown of your scholarship are best IMHO.