Stanford Psychology (Non-Clinical)

JoZP

Hello Everyone,

I have been interested in the Ph.D. Psychology program at Stanford. More specifically, I am interested in social psychology. I found (2) professors who resonate with my research interest. 

I was wondering if anyone has applied to this program? If so, are they looking for something in particular (I.e, research experience, applied experience, teaching experience, etc.) to determine if you are a good fit? 

The reason I ask is that I completed my masters in Marriage and Family Therapy at CSU Sacramento a non-research university. I do have research experience; however, did not get an opportunity to publish my independent research project. I do, however, have extensive clinical experience combined with working with diverse populations. 

On 11/8/2020 at 11:03 AM, JoZP said:

Hello Everyone,

I have been interested in the Ph.D. Psychology program at Stanford. More specifically, I am interested in social psychology. I found (2) professors who resonate with my research interest. 

I was wondering if anyone has applied to this program? If so, are they looking for something in particular (I.e, research experience, applied experience, teaching experience, etc.) to determine if you are a good fit? 

The reason I ask is that I completed my masters in Marriage and Family Therapy at CSU Sacramento a non-research university. I do have research experience; however, did not get an opportunity to publish my independent research project. I do, however, have extensive clinical experience combined with working with diverse populations. 

I believe most PhD programs, even social, tend to favor research experience, social is just not as competitive as clinical so you don't need to stand out from 500+ applicants. Depending on how long you did research for and what skills you learned from it, it could still help you (probably not if it was just 1-2 months). The fact that you have an independent research project is worth noting, not everyone needs a publication to be accepted/considered.