Reviewing TOEFL scores

escondido41

I am in a bit of a daze as I got my TOEFL results.  I got perfect on all sections except Writing where I somehow got a 24/30.  I am quite certain this is in error as there is no way I could have scored lower than in the other sections when it is the easiest section for me and objectively speaking it was really a simple exercise.  I mean I have written dissertations, published academic articles etc.    However, ETS does not allow reviews if I have designated a recipient institution already.  Why that matters, I have no idea.  The problem is the department I am applying to requires a minimum of 25 for each section. I wasn't even required to take the TOEFL since I took all my education in English, and it essentially is my first language, but I submitted anyway since it is required for may other applications.   This puts me in a pickle.  Has anyone successfully had their toefl scores changed despite having it sent to institutions already?  I find this rule very arbitrary (not to mention they require $80 for them to review it without refund if the error was on their end.

Edited by escondido41