What kind of schools should I be applying to with a poor GPA, but okay other stuff?

DisplayUserName

Question

Hello,

I'm currently a biomedical engineering student that should probably have a 3.00 GPA by the end of this semester. I'm interested in applying to online masters programs in data science as I want to do it part time during the next few years while I work to avoid the opportunity cost. Data science just has huge potential in medicine that I think I'd want to explore in industry, or potentially in a PhD program later. I have yet to take the GRE, but I tend to do okay standardized tests (1450 SAT). I also go to a top 10 engineering school, but not like top 5 (think Purdue/UT/Cornell instead of Stanford/MIT/Cal) and have 1 year of research in a computational engineering lab at my school. I also have a research internship at a Fortune 100 company.

My mathy grades are mixed with As in stuff like stats/calc/signal analysis but Cs in Differential Equations and linear algebra. One class I did fail was Ochem though but I came back and got an A in it and then a B+ in Ochem 2. Also, my school does not overwrite failed class grades.

Additionally, I'm not sure if I can get a LOR from my old RA as our project sort of was abandoned with COVID hitting just a month after he began professorship at another university which halted all progress and ended things on an awkward note. I worked closely with another RA (only has a bachelor's though) during my time though, but I'm not sure if he should/could give a reference without a graduate degree. In fact, I'm looking to join a new lab in my final semester of college.

Also, I'm confident I can graduate with at least a 3.15 in the spring if you think I should just go ahead and apply in fall '21 as I'm just finishing up a business minor at this point and I'm absolutely flying through these classes.

As for why my GPA is so low? Uhh tbh I just overloaded myself taking way too hours at once. I couldn't really afford to take more than 4 years and between doing research for 15 hours a week my junior (hardest) year combined with doing the max amount of hours my university allowed just was sorta more than I could handle. Also it wasn't spectacular before that year either.

I'm lost as to where I have a realistic chance: what would my reaches/matches/safeties be depending on where my GRE lands? How much would my GRE matter? Thanks for reading!

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet