How to improve ecology application?

SHS1217

Hello! I have a BS in wildlife biology and I graduated in 2019 with a GPA of 2.83 which is obviously very low. I was a transfer student and my community college GPA was 3.6 but unfortunately after transferring I was working graveyard shifts full time while going to school full time and it really messed me up. I have learned to be better about time management and I want to go to graduate school in the field. For now I am in the military until 2023 and I want to improve my resume as much as I can while in so I can go to grad school when I get out. I hope to eventually get a PhD but I suspect it’ll be best to get a masters first. What would be the best way to improve my application/resume for the next 3 years? Would you recommend retaking classes or taking relevant graduate courses online? Or focusing on internships/volunteer field work? Certifications (GIS maybe?). I will be working full time so a full time job or degree isn’t an option but maybe other stuff will help? Would a graduate certificate online be valuable? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Edited by SHS1217

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how much about what retaking courses/taking graduate courses would do, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. Showing an effort to stay engaged in the field and make positive progress would always look good. A GIS certification would be really helpful, as would taking a course in R programming language. Internships would help a lot if you will be able to do some alongside your work. 

From what I've been taught and told by potential PIs, experience goes a long way. Possibly one of the most important things you could do to improve your application, at least from my understanding. If you are limited in time, out of everything here I would prioritize at least one hands on internship that aligns well with what you want to study in grad school and what you want to do for an end goal career, after you finish your education.

GIS and R are becoming increasingly important tools in this field. My undergrad required we learn GIS because its become so prevalent and I think R will be going the same way in the coming years. Professional conderences I have attended have stressed the importance of R as the best tool for biological dtata analysis. In my case I didn't get to take a course in R, but I know my top choice program offers a workshop so I will definitely be able to catch up. In 3 years, learning R might have become more standard amongst fresh graduates, so it may be worth learning to be competetive.

I am finishing up undergad and applying for grad school for the first time (straight to PhD, coming from a Wildlife and Fisheries B.S., going into Ecology and Evolution) so take this all with a grain of salt. My experience is limited. But this is what was stressed as important by mentors and advisors at my school and some by the graduate PI I've been corresponding most with.

For reference,  I am applying t plant pathology, microbiology, and biology programs. When it comes to plant sciences or ecology field I believe your best bet to prepare a more competitive application I would focus on experience through internships and tangible research/volunteering. Not only will this provide you better experience in the field, but allow you have better letter writers in your field. I have many friends in the ecology field and plant science field , who had similar GPAs and were able to be accepted to top universities through multiple internships, publications, and research presentations. Focus on experience so you have something tangible to talk about in SOP and to give weight to your application.