Post-college grades?

I work at a large R1 university that will pay for employees to take one job-related course for credit each semester. This is a wonderful benefit that I've been enjoying. In college I took very few quantitative classes, so I've been using the education benefit to tackle the quantitative material that intimidated me as an undergraduate.

A question I have, though, is how much will these grades hurt or help? All three of the courses I have taken so far have been at the graduate school, and I think I am likely to earn my first "B" in a while. Will this hurt my transcript more than if I hadn't taken the course at all? I know this could sound like a somewhat whiny question. I'm really just curious to see what other people's perspectives are/experiences have been.

This is a slightly modified course list (to make the names more generic).

econometrics/program evaluation (grad course) Pass (elected pass/fail option)*

multivariate statistics (grad course) "A" **

public and labor economics (grad course) -- projected "B" **

* I took this course pass/fail as my first course while also working full time, would have earned an "A"; the prof and I have a good relationship, and he is willing to write on my behalf.

** The grad school does not award +/- grades.

I work about 55-70 hours a week (not including the time I spend on these courses), so I don't always have the time to put in the effort I want to. That's no excuse -- certainly not to any of the professors -- but it's a reality for me. I want to keep taking courses because regardless of the grades I am learning so much (and it's really helping me do my job better!), but I fear I'm setting myself up to have a less ideal transcript than I did before I started. I guess what I am wondering is:

(a) Have any of you been in a situation where you took additional post-bachelor's coursework to improve your academic profile and not gotten the results you wanted?

(B) Does anyone know how much MPP/MPA programs take post-bachelor's coursework into consideration?

© How much do you think the post-bachelor's coursework and grades really helps or hurts?

Many thanks to anyone who has thoughts on this. Really appreciate it.

(a) Have any of you been in a situation where you took additional post-bachelor's coursework to improve your academic profile and not gotten the results you wanted?

(B) Does anyone know how much MPP/MPA programs take post-bachelor's coursework into consideration?

© How much do you think the post-bachelor's coursework and grades really helps or hurts?

Okay -- this is pretty funny. I hadn't meant to create any smiling faces or copyright symbols.

Edited:

1. Have any of you been in a situation where you took additional post-bachelor's coursework to improve your academic profile and not gotten the results you wanted?

2. Does anyone know how much MPP/MPA programs take post-bachelor's coursework into consideration?

3. How much do you think the post-bachelor's coursework and grades really helps or hurts?

I have a BA in History that is very light on the quantitative side. Luckily I have worked for a large public research university for the past year. In that time, I took three classes in order to improve my qualifications for graduate programs in public policy: intro macro, intro micro and statistics. I received an 'A' in all 9 hours. All three were freshmen or sophomore classes so in that regard I would say that the classes you've taken are likely more difficult.

At any rate, I did this not only due to having a quantless (sic) degree but because my cumulative GPA for undergrad was just under 3.0 (2.97 *sigh*). My personal feeling is that mastering those three foundational courses is one of the single most important steps I took to bolster my applications. Without those courses, I doubt I would have been accepted into all three of my top choices outright.

Now, I understand your concern is a 'B' in a course. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Admissions committees will likely look favorably on your pursuit of further education while working full-time. When writing your SOP it's up to you whether or not you want to address it directly. I personally would not display any negative feelings about a 'B' received in a non-degree graduate course. Instead, let them know that you are proud to have continually pursued coursework relevant to the field to which you are applying while working full-time.

You might also consider taking another class in Fall 2010 in order to have another 'A' sitting there on the end of your transcript (assuming you will be applying for Fall 2011). I'm sure you know this already, however it's worth mentioning, that most graduate schools will not tabulate classes taken after your first degree was conferred into your cumulative or last 60 GPA. All you're doing now is trying to distinguish yourself as someone who is prepared to take on a difficult program.

I was wondering this as well. I received a 3.3 in my undergrad and I am taking an undergraduate course this Summer. Will this course be calculated in my GPA?

No, not at any schools that I am aware of. The accepted way of computing GPA is to only count classes taken before the first conferred degree. However, that doesn't mean that the classes that you take after you have a conferred bachelor's will not bolster your application. If you have any self-perceived deficiencies in your academic record, such as a lack of quantitative rigor, then you may consider addressing those through taking extra classes.