I want to change my major to bio but is incredibly nervous

ocaisceti94

I’m a freshman that just started college this year during covid so living/ learning situation have been adjusted accordingly. Needless to say, learning material on a collegiate level has been a bit difficult to but manageable. My intended major was Public Health but after taking a semester worth of class, I lost interest in it. However, I still want to be involved in the world of health in some way.

I’m painfully average when it comes to science& math base things. I am very, very average. I feel like whenever I meet someone that is any STEM major, they’re incredibly smart and I’m just not that. However I just have this odd fascination to it and I’m not sure why. I’m an average college student that still wants her social life and be involved with the community and clubs so I don’t want to spend all my time studying (although I am anticipating that). I recently switched my major and is now on the premed track, taking collegiate level bio & chem class. I’m really nervous because those subjects is not a field that I excel at, I remember having difficulty during my high school classes as with anyone but during covid & learning on virtually, I’m nervous in how the semester is going to go. I hope it will be worth it at the end.

With that said, for all you bio majors and/or those that graduated with a bio degree, did you regret it? Was it a path that you wanted to pursue or a path that just happened to happen? Is there any advice that you can give? My parents aren’t much help and left me in the dark so I guess I’m just looking for some type of reassurance and answers haha, thank you!

On 12/2/2020 at 1:56 PM, ocaisceti94 said:

I’m a freshman that just started college this year during covid so living/ learning situation have been adjusted accordingly. Needless to say, learning material on a collegiate level has been a bit difficult to but manageable. My intended major was Public Health but after taking a semester worth of class, I lost interest in it. However, I still want to be involved in the world of health in some way.

I’m painfully average when it comes to science& math base things. I am very, very average. I feel like whenever I meet someone that is any STEM major, they’re incredibly smart and I’m just not that. However I just have this odd fascination to it and I’m not sure why. I’m an average college student that still wants her social life and be involved with the community and clubs so I don’t want to spend all my time studying (although I am anticipating that). I recently switched my major and is now on the premed track, taking collegiate level bio & chem class. I’m really nervous because those subjects is not a field that I excel at, I remember having difficulty during my high school classes as with anyone but during covid & learning on virtually, I’m nervous in how the semester is going to go. I hope it will be worth it at the end.

With that said, for all you bio majors and/or those that graduated with a bio degree, did you regret it? Was it a path that you wanted to pursue or a path that just happened to happen? Is there any advice that you can give? My parents aren’t much help and left me in the dark so I guess I’m just looking for some type of reassurance and answers haha, thank you!

Issue has been solved.  https://omegle.onl/  https://xender.vip/

• 1 month later...

Can I ask what your reasons are for pursuing a biology degree? I think having a focus and interest in biology is key to thriving in the 'weed-out' classes. I won't lie, it is a difficult degree and my mental health has taken a hit throughout my years especially watching other majors having a social life, lol. I have a great support system and great passion for biology, specifically animal sciences, and that's what kept me going.

I started as pre-vet but quickly realized it wasn't the right track for me and neither was pre-med so I started looking to grad schools. Sometimes I have the regret that I didn't do business or nursing because of the salary and job security but nonetheless I love my coursework, the people I work with and the research cause. The best advice I can give is make sure you find something your passionate about, learn how to write stellar notes (I always recommend hand writing flash cards as opposed to Quizlet), dedicate yourself to studying and you will be golden. Biology is however one of those degrees that you will likely need a grad degree of some sort or certification to make it beyond research tech or research assistant!

Good luck!

Ok,  I know I'm replying to this thread pretty late- but just came across it!  If you're interested in biology definitely give it a try! College is one of the only times in your life where you can explore so many areas and if you end up hating it you can just change your major again.  Yeah, the intro classes can be very difficult and competitive- but if you can pass them (C's get degrees!) then you're golden! In my opinion it's better to try and fail than to not try and have doubt about what could have been.

One of my best friends scraped through intro bio and chem. She even failed one bio class that was a pre-requisite for the major.  She had to re-take it over summer... did ok in upper division courses- but loved the subject matter so she kept pushing on.  We graduated in 2017, and she had to work her way up in her organization for two years... but now she has an amazing job managing clinical trials at one of the top hospitals in Seattle.  

My point is, if it interests you- try it!!  You can always change your mind later :). Biology is great!!

Also I never quite answered your main question:  In my personal experience, I chose to major in biology because I hated all of the other majors more ?.  I was average at intro biology and chemistry, really bad at math... but I ended up liking the subject matter a lot more than I anticipated.  After graduating I ended up taking job in research that I LOVE and now I'm looking at starting a PhD next fall.  You don't need to be "incredibly smart" to succeed in biology - just a good work ethic and an interest :). Trust yourself, you got this!!