North Carolina MSW

ngiduz

Hello All!

I am starting the application process for MSW programs for Fall 2021. I'm applying to UNC, NC State, UNC-C, UGA, and Baylor.

I created this post to discuss the application process, decision, statistics, and any insight anyone can share.

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I applied to UNC and NCSU 2015 and got into both. I was awarded a fully funded gta with NCSU. It’s been a few years but any insight I can offer I am happy to. I chose NCSU over UNC because they offered funding and UNC did not. I found the application process to be pretty straight forward and at the MSW level experience was a plus.  UNC is more competitive and clinical. NCSU is a generalist program and less competitive.

• 2 weeks later...

I got an email from the grad school at NCSU around 2am today saying that my application had an admissions update, but when I log into the portal I don’t see a decision. It has changed to saying I have an enrollment task to complete (send official transcript), so I’m hoping that’s positive. Anyone else have this issue?

4 hours ago, rb629 said:

I got an email from the grad school at NCSU around 2am today saying that my application had an admissions update, but when I log into the portal I don’t see a decision. It has changed to saying I have an enrollment task to complete (send official transcript), so I’m hoping that’s positive. Anyone else have this issue?

I had the same thing! Thought it was a little odd that they said they would come out with the decision on the 26th and then it came out at 2am and it wasnt an actual decision 

1 hour ago, rb629 said:

Me too! Did you hear back from UNC yet? 

Yay! Congratulations! No, not yet. 

47 minutes ago, juliana12345 said:

I also got accepted last night! Have not heard anything from UNC yet. Wish they would have just come out with decisions at the same time rather than have us wait around!

Congratulations! That would be amazing! I think we should hear from UNC soon. 

6 hours ago, danmka said:

Congrats everyone! I also was accepted to NCSU. In January I received an acceptance to UNC Charlotte. Any advice in picking between the two? 

Congratulations! How long after applying to Charlotte did you hear back? I'm curious when I'll hear from them. I believe NC State is ranked higher than UNC-Charlotte but both follow the generalist model. If you're not familiar with the campuses maybe visiting them would help you make a choose. 

16 hours ago, ngiduz said:

Congratulations! How long after applying to Charlotte did you hear back? I'm curious when I'll hear from them. I believe NC State is ranked higher than UNC-Charlotte but both follow the generalist model. If you're not familiar with the campuses maybe visiting them would help you make a choose. 

I applied 11/25 and heard back 1/4! Good luck! 

On 2/18/2021 at 4:03 AM, Phdreamin said:

Hi there, I applied to UNC and NCSU 2015 and got into both. I was awarded a fully funded gta with NCSU. It’s been a few years but any insight I can offer I am happy to. I chose NCSU over UNC because they offered funding and UNC did not. I found the application process to be pretty straight forward and at the MSW level experience was a plus.  UNC is more competitive and clinical. NCSU is a generalist program and less competitive.

Do you have any tips for getting a GTA position/ the interview for it? I am not a NC resident and getting a GTA position would be such a life saver for my bank account lol