Profile Evaluation - Request

Hello all, 

I am new to this space, but I hope you all can help. 

Schools: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Chicago

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad Institution: Top HBCU 

Student Profile: URM/Black

Major(s)/Minor(s): Political Science, Mathematics

Undergrad GPA: 3.6 with a 3.9 major GPA

Type of Grad: Top 8 Law School (finishing my 3L year)

GRE: Did not submit. All schools made it optional. (Technically, Harvard did not make it optional, but the website mentioned that one should submit even if she does not have all application materials. My letter writers encouraged me to submit (two went to Harvard).

Any Special Courses: Cal 1, Cal 2, Cal 3, Linear Algebra, Diff E, and grad courses in political theory

Writing Sample: A critical theory paper on a political philosophy

Letters of Recommendation: 1 from an Undergrad advisor well-respected (PhD in political science), 1 from a tenured law professor (PhD in political science), 1 co-written letter from 2 tenured law professors who are really well-known  (PhDs in political science), 1 from another law professor (PhD in Anthropology).

Research Experience: Undergraduate thesis + research assistantship to law professors

Subfield/Research Interests: Political Theory/American Politics

Other: Work experience in the summer at law firms

I would just love to get some feedback because it is really difficult to find information on law students who have applied to PhD programs in political science. My ultimate goal is to get a joint appointment in a political science department and law school. I explained all of this in my SOP. Chance me?

Edited by jimmyb898

I think you look very strong. You're applying to few, very competitive programs, so it's always going to be a bit of a crapshoot. Lack of GRE shouldn't be an issue given that you have a strong math background. All I can say is that while browsing the grad students pages in various departments I have seen a few people who came from law school, so it is certainly not unheard of. Good luck!

Nice to see a law student on here.  One of my mentors had a PhD and law degree and was a terrific scholar, teacher, and mentor, so I don't think that will work against you at all.  It will probably help. 

I think you have a great profile, but as smug-face mentioned, those are all highly competitive programs and even top students may not get in.  I e-mailed with a faculty member at UChicago last year and they told me the department generally receives around 500 applicants each year and maybe admit 25-30.  I imagine the other programs you applied to are just as competitive.  Covid might throw a wrench in that this year, for better or worse, I'm not sure.  I don't say this to add to your angst, but rather to suggest that if you aren't admitted anywhere this year that you broaden your list of schools to maybe 7-10 if you choose to apply again.  Most people on this forum apply to at least one or two "safety" schools that are outside the top 10-15.  In my *limited* experience these schools generally get 250-300 applications instead of 500+, so that improves your chances and can still give you great career opportunities.

But now that your apps are presumably finished, I'd do your best to relax and not stress too much.  I think you've got a fighting chance at all those schools, but don't immediately bag the whole enterprise if you aren't admitted this year.  

On 12/18/2020 at 7:36 AM, smug-face said:

I think you look very strong. You're applying to few, very competitive programs, so it's always going to be a bit of a crapshoot. Lack of GRE shouldn't be an issue given that you have a strong math background. All I can say is that while browsing the grad students pages in various departments I have seen a few people who came from law school, so it is certainly not unheard of. Good luck!

Thank you for replying!! I know it is sort of a crapshoot with the competitive programs, but I am hopeful. I just wanted to submit the best app I could. Fingers crossed!

On 12/18/2020 at 7:36 AM, smug-face said:

Thank you for replying!! I know it is sort of a crapshoot with the competitive programs, but I am hopeful. I just wanted to submit the best app I could. Fingers crossed!